Petrol = gasoline = fuel storage questions.

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Manie B, Nov 5, 2012.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't have facts and figures at my fingertips, Michael. But I'm pretty sure subsidies are the only reason growing corn for ethanol is more profitable than growing it for food.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The corn lobby successfully got legislation passed requiring gasoline be adulterated with ethanol. Oil companies were forced to import Brazilian(because they have good supply) ethanol when our drought brought us up short on corn supplies.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Yup. That's what I said.... in Post #86.:)

4. hoytedow

Oh, wow. I think I was ignoring you at that time and missed your post.

5. hoytedow

At least we agree sometimes.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I can understand a gov subsidy to create a new industry.

Burorats look to the past with other folks money.They do not create New industry , just prop up failures.

Any industry that will survive comes from the inventive brain , not a butoRat brain.

The inventive do not need gov funding to exist (like ethanol solar mfg , or wind farms ) they just get to work and produce a better product at a lower cost.

No extorted tax payer funding required.

An example of a free market success is fracking for natural gas.

The gas price went down by 4 to 7 times . to the gov's horror , but to the consumers delight.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Oh the inconveniences ....

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

So that makes the government an enemy to the consumers budget. Who would have guessed?

1 person likes this.
  9. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Government today all believe in Gore and global warming from C02.
    So they want fuel prices high and higher to discourage burning of fuel.

So this administration gives huge sums of money given away to green startups which then go bust.

It is the same mindset that our former energy advisor to Obama once said, we have to figure out how to get gasoline prices up to the level of Europe.

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I was reading something the other day about state finance in the US and they said one big killer was cars getting more efficient and that fuel tax is no longer delivering the money they need
    1. does that make government more happy?
    2. is government happier if you drive a gas guzzler?

1 person likes this.
  11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

back to the thread
    if you want to store fuel and you don have an oxygen sensor and catalytic converters, do the last fill with av gas.

I can see what your getting these days, no crap in Singapore fuel so it lasts.
    Thailand full of crap. Everytime I see a yacht go up there and fill up the dinghy tank then come back to Singapore and several months later try to use the outboard you have a carb full of glue

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Ok folks - an update on the experiment.
    What is crazy is that more than half of the fuel evaporates thru the "breather" within the first 2 months.
    Keep in mind that this bottle never saw sunlight, like a boat standing in the hot sun. The bottle was always indoors in the garage and cool.
    The next almost 6 months saw minimal evaporating.

In South Africa we get E10, but with the inconsistencies of our "dedicated" staff we run as high as E20 at times. Most of our ethanol / alcohol comes from Brazil and this is "owned" and controlled by our corrupt government officials aka Mr Zuma and his Indian "friends" the all mighty Gupta's. With our petrol / gasoline the light oils evaporate fast (60% @ 2 months) and the heavy oils that cause the "varnish" and build up in the carburettor evaporate much slower.

The point I am trying to make here is that it is not feasible to keep our fuel for long - even if the container is sealed tight.
    As you know I also tested "fuel conditioner" that works well, but it's expensive here.

From here on I will always use "fresh" fuel and what's left over goes into my car. Always drain the carburettor and its fuel lines when storing or winterising.

I have another experiment going with a closed bottle to monitor colour changes. After 7 months no leakage and it still smells ok.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Here is the closed lid bottle, after almost 7 months.
    Starting to go darker and smells ok.

Attached Files:

• 976f.JPG
      976f.JPG
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
  14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Manny
    if you can you can install the new US EPA fuel vent filters
    Hopefully it might prevent that by attempting to create a closed system like a car.
    cheers

15. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hey Manie,

Would you mind terribly if I hijacked the thread back?

So what is the answer? I am buying a 4stroke Mercury 6hp for mucking about in the bay, and read allsorts about fuel stabilizer this and that.
    I know you are a small engine fundi, so do I just drain the carbs and put the old fuel in my scooter when boating season is over?
    I do of course have the problem that this almost never happens here in laalaa-land, I mean zululand, what with having most excellent weather and fishing year round. I struggle to keep up with what kind of tackle and lures to carry with me, because the target species of gamefish changes at least every three months. So I have my share of challenges......

By the way, the boatbuilding has been deferred, so I bought a little 3.2m semi-rigid, which should go OK with the 6hp Merc. I would like to fit a 15 to it, but they are like horse-eggs on the secondhand market at the moment. The fuel-cost crunch is now definitely on the boating fraternity's collective mind.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.