No water in oil pan, But water in oil filter?

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by midtower, Mar 12, 2005.

1. midtower

midtower Junior Member

I have a SeaRay, 1987, with a chevy 5.7L. I was in the process of removing the exhaust manifolds and riser's because they were leaking, when I noticed moisture around the the valve cover oil cap. I removed the cap and saw water droplets on the head. So, I pulled the dip stick and it showed that it was over filled, way over filled. But no water? So, I removed the oil filter and to my shock, the oil looked like moca coffee.

So, my questions are, why isn't there water in the oil pan? Could it be the exhuast manifold's were leaking water into the heads via exhaust port? what can I do to fix it? Before, I have to tear the heads off or anything else?

Gonzo, or who may have the expertise would reply, it sure would be appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

P.S. You were totally right regarding me finding water in the oil pan. (mocha)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You have got water in the oil- thats no doubt, drain the oil then youll'e see it. The dip stick does not have to reach the bottom!!. Which is heavier oil or water? water is of course so the water sits at the bottom of the pan.. If water has gone down the exhaust valve and into the rear cylinder then down throught the rings into the pan. You will still have to remove the heads because your valves will be shot. At very least the rear exhaust. Does it ever miss fire when its cold or even start on seven then go onto 8. Might not even be that -might be a simple water jacket leak on the head gasket. Is oil pressure low? -- you might hace stuffed the bottom end by running on that oil water mix. sorry no good news here.

3. midtower

midtower Junior Member

First, thank you very much for your fast reply and for taking the time.

Wouldn't a compression check tell me if a head gasket is leaking? I am pumping the oil out as soon as I get over the stinken flu.

It ran on all eight cylinders, except it lacked full throttle.

I will let you know the final diagnostics once I pump the oil out if you don't mind. I am not saying you're wrong, I guess I fear the thought of buying a new engine.

Again, thank you very much.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Check to see if the fresh water cooling tank is full, If its well down then it could be fresh water thats entered the engine. If its full then its probably sea water. Fresh water means a head gasket or the like. Sea water would probably mean the exhausts.. Its very difficult to diagnose engine problems from a distance--thats why i use 'probably' a lot. The damage I previously suggested is just the tip of the ice berg Get well soon -- and get that water out of the engine, change the oil and filter dis-conect the sea water pump-check to see if the coolant is full and run it up with no hose attached for 30 seconds ONLY. This will get clean oil around and blast crap out of the cylinders. This will help to stabalise the corrosion that could be going on as we speak, I said no hose attached because if it is the exhaust you will put more water down it again.
    Be carefull though it will be very noisy and the manifolds will get hotter than normal. You then need some help but you could be thinking on the right lines about an engine.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive thought of some more stuff. It so difficult telling people to do things like this by e mail. Please make sure there are no children about. Make sure its not in gear,and put the leg down as much as you can. If it starts to smell rubbery--shut it down, run it up 2 hours later. While you have 30 seconds take note of oil pressure (is it normal for that temp) and heres a tricky one when running the engine leave the fresh water cap off. I want know if the water goes down, and if it does how much water was neded to top it up--- or if it floods out, by roughly how much-- be very carefull when working at the front of the engine--especially on your own-- have some one standing by the starter key.Good luck.

6. midtower

midtower Junior Member

You are more than kind. I thank you for taking time to assist me. I am still under the weather a bit, but feeling better. Thank you. I can imagine how hard it is to tell someone how to fix something over the Internet. Your advice is great and I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

My engine is a closed cooling system. The holding tank is full with freon and has not gone down and there is no green liquid in the oil. I purchased Port and starboard exhaust manifolds and risers prior to seeing the water in the oil filter. Assuming it was exhaust manifold leaks. I removed both, and both were almost completely clogged with what appeared to be rust.

I am a bit confused about what you said about flushing the old oil out of the engine and its method? The oil filter is out. Again thank you very much. See attached photos please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok i have read what i put,I can see what confused you. Just cahange the oill and filter as normal --drain and fill

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

9. midtower

midtower Junior Member

Excellent information. Thank you again. Tomorrow I should be able to go out and pump the oil out and put in new filter. The manifolds are still off. Do you recommend that install the new manifolds and risers to be able to start it or ground the coil wire and turn the engine over without the spark plugs and manifolds removed in order to pump the bad oil into the filter. Than change filter and oil again? How does that sound?

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

well theres a few different ways to go here but the main thing is get that water out of the engine quickly, and yes its going to need a couple of flushes at least. You can do it your way but its a bit hard on the starter motor but I like the oil down the cylinder bit. Dont ground any wires-- just dis-conect unless you mean the high tension lead, thats the big one that goes to the distributor. OR put it all back together and run it up with water pipe-- flush the oil as previosly and pretend nothing happened..

Ok what about this do your way once, then start it up for the second. Take it for a blast then once more if everything is ok. You could be lucky here.
    This is what I would do. there maybe others that would not agree.this is the quickest and cheepest way. You still might have damaged the bottom end ,you might get sticking or leaking valves on the offending cylinders, it still might not work out. But you have lost nothing by having a go yourself.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh by the way ,could not open the photo's!!!

12. midtower

midtower Junior Member

Hello JackFrost,
    Well, got out there and installed the new manifolds and risers. Also, new spark plugs, and oil filter. I first started the engine, let it get warm up, and then pumped out the bad oil, the engine runs great. But, I will have to do it again, because the oil still has bad oil.

My son and me had to stop due to it getting to cold. So, I will replace oil filter and put some more oil until the water in the oil goes away, I hope?

I think I may have burned my electric 12-volt pump. That stuff is thick. So, I will let you know the final results and we thank you for all your information and the time you took to help us.

Sorry about the photos. Are you using Windows viewer to try and open them or is they just don't open.

Again, your support is very appreciated,
    Carl and Son

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use paint thinner to flush the engine. Add about a quart and idle the engine a few minutes. Then change the oil.

14. midtower

midtower Junior Member

Thank you Gonzo. I will be doing that as soon as the rain stops? It is raining here in California again! Which we need.

This is a great Web site for the laymen and I am sure glad I found it. Wished I knew more in order to help those who need help. But, I am learning and so is my son.

Thanks again to you and Jack Frost. :)

15. midtower

midtower Junior Member

Hello JackFrost,

I am going to try to send you the photos again. Maybe you can use them to show other people who maybe having problems as an example. Or direct them to this page. Hope it will help someone. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.