epoxy material for wet exhaust

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by H A van Nes, Dec 7, 2016.

1. H A van Nes

H A van Nes designer builder sailor

can anyone help with a suggestion for a type of epoxy or polymer to wet out fiberglass to fabricate an exhaust fitting for a 4" wet exhaust. There are several fiberglass fittings sold but I need a custom shaped ''S" curve. Presently there is a fiberglass muffler and Y fitting on the line and they have performed well for several years. I want the "S" curved pipe to simplify the installation. Until now I have be bending a length of 4" wire would exhaust hose and it is extremely difficult.
    The engine runs at 200 degrees so I think I need something that when cured will withstand 250 degrees. I see several aluminum filled products from CPD (composite Polymer design) at Endurance Technologies. Are there any others?
    I am posting this in the construction materials and the power forums.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Room temperature epoxy is typically good to ~150 degrees F. The strength will be reduced at 150.

Prepreg epoxy done in an autoclave curing will be good to 250.

You can get phenolic resins that are good over 250, but I don't know what it would take to get the strength or what the curing requirements would be.

3. H A van Nes

H A van Nes designer builder sailor

Thanks Upchurchmr: Where do I find Prepreg epoxy Nad will it work to wet out the glass cloth?

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

High temp and FR. VE resins are used for that, they hold up well.

Several are available, check your local supplier, the only issue is getting such a small amount.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Epoxy prepregs are cloth or uni fibers with the resin already a part of the cloth.
    The plies have to be formed over a mandrel or form, then vacuum bagged, then cooked at 350 F and 80PSI to get the part to form and become strong.

This is not something the typical homebuilder can do without spending a tremendous amount on equipment.
    Sorry, I was trying to imply that Pre-Preg is unreasonable for almost everyone.
    And not all prepreg resin works to 250 - you have to keep looking.

But, a Google for "prepreg composite materials" gave me this: http://www.fibreglast.com/category/PrePreg_Fabrics?gclid=COS6672549ACFQ6NaQodvhULig

At the bottom of the page are links to some training material.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Vinylester resin will work better than epoxy for hand laminating an exhaust.

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Never used it. What's the temperature capability? Never mind I just saw the previous post and looked at the link.

8. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

9. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Carbon, high temp epoxy are used to build 2 stoke racing exhaust that produce over 1100 degrees F, 9" from the piston center on a steel pipe.
    On carbon pipe they water cool the firs 4" of a steel pipe the clamp the carbon pipe to that.
    This was 7 years ago, they have probably improved since then.

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

It would help a lot if you could tell us what the epoxy is.

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

12. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

I did not save the link since I was racing Electric boats. I am sure it would not be relevant today any way. Search for High Temp Epoxy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.