Early Hemi 354

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Kasparas, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Kasparas

Kasparas New Member

Hello, i have problems with my hemi 354 . I have rebuilt it, put all new bearings. I started it and oil pressure is very low. What first you offer to watch? Oil pressure on idle is 15 psi and when accelerating a little bit its 35psi. Oil pump, filter, valves? Also, there isnt any oil under one of the valve cover..

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

First of all, what are the clearances between the crankshaft/bearings and camshaft/bearings? Secondly, make sure the holes in the bearings for the oil to go through are aligned with the oil holes in the block. Is the oil pump new?

3. Kasparas

Kasparas New Member

I didnt measure it myself, i gave to firm to do this. The holes are corect. No, the pump is not new. I put not original oil filter because i didnt find it in Lithuania, maybe he blocks something or fits bad?

4. Kasparas

Kasparas New Member

They polished the crankshaft, measured the rods and they said that order std size, because crankshaft never was planished. Camsshaft bushes are also new, std. I am working not first time with these guys so i think everything ok with this point

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

There's only a few, all very logical reasons you have low pressure. The used pump should be the first thing to consider. You should take this engine back to the rebuilder and get them to find the problem, before you cook a bearing or blow up the engine. Simply put, there's really no excuse for this, unless you have restricted them from doing a full rebuild and forced them to install used parts. If this is the case, you're going to have to find the problem and address it yourself or pay them to add the appropriate parts. This assumes the clearances and engine specs are within reasonable tolerances. Considering the cost of a new pump, it's not wise to reinstall the used on.

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Get a gun brush and clean out the oil passages, Especially the #2 and #4 main to rocker passage. Also make sure your lifters and bores are good, because the mains are feed through the lifter galleries.

[​IMG]

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I suspect a pretty backyard rebuild was done, without the usual precautions and precision. Cleaning the galleries and checking clearances are standard fare, as is the replacement of the usual consumable items, such as the pump(s), appropriately sized bearings and seals.

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I asked a friend of my dad's who built these back in the day:
    -use 20w50 oil
    -there's a plug on the rear/driver's side of the block that may be omitted or leaking that will result in low oil pressure.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.