Chevy 350 SB

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by mikealston2428, Sep 23, 2013.

1. mikealston2428

mikealston2428 Senior Member

Hi All,

I am about to reinstall my intake manifold.

I have been told to thro away the rubber rail gaskets and use X'traseal Gasket Sealant BLACK 625F, HIGH TEMPERATURE RTV.

The gaskets themselves - do I need to use sealant on these anywhere ?
    Around all ports or not ? if so is the Sealant above OK to use on gaskets also ?

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Typically you use an RTV on the front and rear "china walls" (yep, toss the rubber rails) and a gasket sealer on both sides of the runner gaskets. Some like to use a bead of RTV around each coolant port too, though a good gasket set, that's not going to see serious abuse will work fine. Don't skimp on gasket quality. When running the front and rear beads, make sure it has a bit pooled in the corners, to fix a common location for an oil leak.

There's an awful lot of information about this on line, particularly for the small block Chevy.

3. mikealston2428

mikealston2428 Senior Member

Thanks for that .

Are the coolant ports the end ports on both sides ?

I have bloked the centre water ports.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The center ports aren't water ports, but are exhaust crossover ports and your engine may or may not need these.

Generally, in a stock of mildly built small block, you want the cross overs open. If installing an aftermarket aluminum intake, you may have to drill out these holes. On a race engine you'll block them off. Fuel distribution and atomization is better with the ports open on stock or mostly stock engines. On more aggressive cam grinds, you can close the ports, making up for these inefficiencies by dumping more fuel into it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.