The usual suspects - closed thread(s) that is

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Wynand N, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

That was supposed to be a compliment.

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Thanks. From this and the prior thread, it seems you have a strong interest in taking part in nationalistic, political, and (anti)religious threads. When the internet was "simpler" the idea of one site including a catch-all for "everything" was more relevant. Now 10 years later, when there are hundreds if not thousands of other forums easily found and setup primarily for the discussion of religion and politics, it's not worth the cost of providing a "catch all" for topics that cause the majority of complaints and reported posts from other members who are offended while contributing little if any usable informational value to the boat design, boatbuilding, and boating focus of the site. Plus, your political hot-topic threads will likely generate more interest even for you on sites where they are the focus of the site.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats very nice thank you, but whilst I take heed of you advice would you not think it fair to also use that to address those who you say complain of the forum content.

Any way it was a rhetorical question and no need for a reply.

5. Boat Design Net Moderator

Venues such as facebook are better places for people who like to flame or jab at other people.

This site should remain a place where people can come to share a common interest in boat design, boatbuilding, and all things boats and boating, no matter what their diverse backgrounds. When topics which contribute little or no useful information to boat design, boatbuilding, or boats start to offend other members and potentially drive people who are interested in boat design and boats away, these non-boat topics would be better directed to a different site.

Forums such as
    https://www.google.com/search?q=politics forum
    https://www.google.com/search?q=religion forum
    would provide a better venue for political and religious arguments.

1 person likes this.
  6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Great jumpin Jebus Frosty, I think Jeffs being pretty clear on this one, let it go.

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I still want to see more girls decorating boats and scrubbing the decks ;) OK, I have to admit I am a MCP :D

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of people have been whinging to the moderator. All seems pretty harmless to me.

9. Boat Design Net Moderator

Thanks.

I wish it were possible to keep everyone happy at all times. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible so the objective is to keep this a place where the greatest majority of people who visit to learn and share information on boat design, boatbuilding, and all things boats and boating can enjoy coming and taking part.

The idea of creating an off-topic bilge was considered. The advantage (to the site's goal of sharing information on boat design and boats) is that people who have expertise but not the interest in boats right now to otherwise visit the site may be drawn to spend time on the site even though some of the political and religious threads cause other members offense as the cost. However, if an off-topic bilge were created and separated from the boat design forums so the political and religious threads don't confront those who don't wish to be confronted by them, that advantage is greatly diminished as well. Creating an "anything goes; enter at your own risk" unrestrained section would encourage more very-off-topic material with no relevance to design, boats or boating which would bloat the database, fill the search database with irrelevant data, etc. so from a technical perspective, "semi-separate but still under one site" has disadvantages with little advantage. Further, if the "off topic" bilge is separated and hidden, the topics there would get less activity and visibility than the same topics on a site which puts such political and religious discussions front and center and welcomes them. It makes more sense to divert political and religious arguments to other sites which are setup to focus on religion or politics.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah It might be best to leave and go somewhere even for a little holiday. hey I heard the cheers from here.
    I can feel the pressure you know im not as thick skinned as some would believe.

But if I do I think it must be an English forum having to re explain myself and yet still not get through sometimes is a problem American is definitely not English English. But its something I got used to over the years

Any way im off to the pub in an hour or 2 to sit and watch the sun go down with an ice cold skol or 8, i'lle give it some thought.

If anyone could start a thread about something I know about and the answer to your problem and I feel like it --well I could answer a bit I suppose.

Until then Ille just keep my eye out for something I can chip in to that I hav;nt already done so in the last 10 years.

No probs Bos yes I got it the first time, just having a chat with the boss, you know give him a chance to talk about his -errm,-- flock, inmates , slaves what ever you call forum people.

Oh just another little teeny weeny enquiry is humour Ok.

11. Boat Design Net Moderator

I hope you enjoy the "flock, inmates , slaves what ever you call forum people" on whatever political and religious sites you find and enjoy taking part in. With the number of sites on the Internet, I'm sure you can find plenty appropriate for and catering to whichever topics most interest you at a given time. What is paradise for some is prison to others and vice versa.
    And thank you for taking "flaming" elsewhere and helping to keep this a site where everyone interested in boat design, boatbuilding, and boats and boating can all enjoy visiting, no matter what their diverse nationalities and backgrounds. Thanks.

Forums where political topics would be welcome:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=politics forum

Forums where religious topics would be welcome:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=religion forum

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Im warning ya' Frosty...one more outburst and..........................

Attached Files:

13. Boat Design Net Moderator

If the combination of being polite to other members and keeping things generally somehow related to boats on a boat site and away from political arguments starts to feel like a prison to someone here, it's probably time to find another site that better fits (or augments, to cover diverse interests). One site can't be everything to everyone, so the goal is to keep this a site that everyone can enjoy visiting to share the common interest in boat design, boatbuilding, and all things boats and boating.

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Difficult to be a moderator. Keep up the good work

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Thanks.

If it made sense to create a separate / hidden unrestricted off-topic bilge for religious and political topics, it could be done. But after much consideration, the advantage of doing this is not there, in terms of furthering the core purpose of the site, nor from a software or technical standpoint, nor for the topics which would be posted there.

If someone does feel none of the the existing political and religious forums are sufficient, possibly this is an opportunity for them to create a new politics and naval architecture and/or religion and boating site.

< link got blanked??? | User Tina123 is spam! >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.