The usual suspects - closed thread(s) that is

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Wynand N, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Am I a' usuall' suspect, Wynand never did make it clear just tar- ing every one with the same brush.

When some hits a fan you all get a bit on you.

Wasnt it Wynand who wanted to see women on boats, scantely clad no doubt. I doubt the boat had much to do with it.

Yes the silly threads are the most pop, Drivel, Global warming, Eating outside and one even about Israel, and what gun to wear.

Mas has been keeping us all entertained !!!!!!!!! with financial melt down warnings.

Can I suggest members come to chat and then see a thread ---oh this looks interesting --for a while.

I like the members that write #1 I dont know the answer but some one else will be along shortly that knows more than me. Ha ha.

And then there was the conversation killer from Hamburg that would rip you to bits for even posting along side him, while trying to sell bargain basement Ice breakers for only 3 million Euros..

Reminds me of Monty Pythons meaning of life, Excuse me waiter this conversation isnt very good--'oh im sorry sir Ille change it for you, would you like me to start you off --'oh yes please" Ive a feeling not many here would like Monty Python.

I think Jeff is trying too hard, I dont think its possible to keep squeaky clean as he would like. I think Jeff lives in a nice house at the side of a lake with his little classic clinker built sloop parked at the bottom of the garden moored on the lake , 2 beautiful blonde children, a Volvo estate and an old English sheep dog. he works a few hours a day for massive wages and lives a perfect life with bridge parties in the evening with friends.

Any way Im bored,-- off to some religion.

2. bntii

bntii Senior Member

The rules are simple here- just follow them.
    We have had many years of fruitful conversation on all manner of topics. The moderator has never closed a thread.
    What closes threads are rude comments that contribute nothing to civil discourse, on this forum or any other.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you want a squeaky clean forum then the rogue thread should be wiped out as soon as it is posted. I think a slap in the face is all the work one puts in then has it shut.

Adhoc you have participated in religious threads, he who is without sin cast the first stone.

There is a lot of non boat related threads still running!!! How does the only some not all work.

If its space you are concerned about that global warming must be wasting millions of gigis'.

Israel thread was topical and the Suez canal could be closed because of the instability in that region, I believe boats go through there.

The last post was uncalled for and the individual should be told, clean it up and carry on.

I would consider another titled 'Suez canal instability' and continue on the same lines as the Isreal thread but my enthusiasm is low for some reason.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

the Israel thread had some excessively emotional posters either proselytizing or going ballistic about the Israel/palestinian conflict, My own part in it was mostly sarcastic so looks to me like we're all guilty. Cause I've heard everyone who's posted on this thread so far going off at one time or another.

Its a wake up call when a thread gets closed, its not that the thread might not have been at least connected with boating and yacht design, climate for instance, its more that things maintain some modicum of civility.

I've got no complaints, been guilty, been innocent, its a reminder. be polite, we're guests in someone elses house here. I'd even bring beer but some of you guys don't need any more :D

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Boatdesign.net

Lets keep boatdesign.net about boat design, building etc. Some of the threads have gone haywire with politics, religion etc. I shocked myself posting on the Israel thread and it was a mistake-the devil made me do it.
    I back Jeff 100%-I'm sick of seeing these off topic "discussions" that just go nowhere and have no place on this forum.
    If the time spent by some members on these out of whack threads was spent teaching us about their expertise in boat design ,building or sailing or powerboat handling or sea stories or-anything about boats we'd all be better off.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

C now thats what keep getting me in trouble, I thought the floating band wagon comment was pretty funny.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I couldn't support Jeff more.

Keep it to boats.

It's what it's designed to be, keep it on topic.

-Tom

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'll bet there have been plenty of "reputation" points added and taken by people now disapproving of this non-boating type of thread, on the basis of what was said in these non-boating discussions ! That would be hypocrisy, folks !

9. masalai

masalai masalai

In social discourse is not the usual lame opening relating starting a conversation with a stranger, something like, - - "How are you . .", or " . . about the weather . .", regardless of the what the topic is that's on ones mind...

I have yet to find a social gathering ANYWHERE where the topic never digressed from that one topic whatever it was... A broad understanding of and interest in everything is what you will find in all cruising and boating communities... If the topic does not fall within ones sphere of interest then look at or go somewhere else as in real life.... There is no need or justification in castigating one who has a penchant to discuss something else... Just do not engage in that discourse...

Only a punch drunk fool would barge in on a - till then - quiet and civil discussion by a group of similarly interested people, to tell all and sundry that they are.".............." and risk a return punch in the mouth from everyone of that group... So I ask, why is such, so necessary on the net? , , , , , , If you do not like the topic, leave peacefully...

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Reputation points.

Is this not simply a popularity contest?

I find little rhyme or reason to their value.

-Tom

2 people like this.
  11. masalai

masalai masalai

Well tell that to the poor soul who loves sharing little red flags of petulant childish disgust anonymously... Lacking the Moral fortitude to post a disagreement as to what was posted, or request that such be deleted... I will offer positive rep if some one deserves praise - even if I disagree with the content, - but anonymous negative just displays social ineptitude and childish petulance... Oh well such is the sign of degeneration of a society in decay....

12. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

The problem the political threads cause is that some members find them offensive, and then:
    a.) they are drawn into the political thread because they feel they need to "stand up" to statements which they find offensive, at which point an argument frequently starts and/or the political threads take away from what this member may have contributed to boating-relevant discussions and they are distracted by the "political spam", or
    b.) they resist taking part, but resent having topics offensive to them on the same site, confronting them in the what's new, etc.

I know some members in this thread have expressed a real interest in political threads, and I understand that the advantage is that members who have expertise but possibly not the interest in boats now to visit the site on the basis of boating-discussion alone are drawn here.

However, the disadvantages are that these political and religious threads, as evidenced by the number of reported posts, are causing members to be offended while contributing little to no knowledge to boat design or boating. The political and religious threads bloat the database with non-relevant (to boat design, boatbuidling, or boating) information. With usernames common, hostilities do spill over into the other threads.

The idea was presented to create a separate "off topic bilge" section so that the off-topic political, religious, etc. threads don't surprise or "confront" those who are interested primarily in boats on this boat design site. Further, the idea was suggested that this "off topic bilge" could even use a separate login so hostility doesn't spill over. However, if separated I'm not sure the "off topic bilge" offers any real advantage to the boat design focus of this site. If separate, sharing a database becomes a drawback (slower backups, more encumberments when upgrading, comingled search database) and no advantage. And further, if this "off topic bilge" is separated or "hidden", it would seem better for everyone to simply take these political, nationalistic, and religious discussions to a forum that is already setup for such discussions, where they are welcome and even the focus of the site and thus receive more activity and involvement than in a hidden off-topic bilge.

If you like, you can create your same username on multiple websites. And you can keep multiple sites open in tabs in your browser.

With so many forums existing for the primary purpose of political or religious discussion, you will find plenty of better venues for politics and religion.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=politics forum
    https://www.google.com/search?q=religion forum

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Wynand and all you other ugly buggers :D

I think Jeff is doing a swell job of moderating the forum. I can also say that some of the other forums. especially SA forums are a real pain in the crapper to post on since there are always a bunch of far left liberals to cry about every single thing you say, well half of them are semi illiterate and cannot speak the language so they try to force you to speak only their language.

So can we please have an Afrikaans section to this forum please Jeff.

Just kiddin ! LOL.

Seriously, I'm happy with the forum as is, you will never be able to make every one happy. As for the heated discussions, and fights, once it goes beyond a certain level it create poor impressions for all, and some members will begin to leave.

If any two members have a difference to sort out, then they can take it to e-mail or PM's. I'm sure the rest is not interrested in your fight.

As for the old timers (like Frosty :) ) and the others. well, you guys have always been there, pretty awesome bunch.

LOL, ugly but awesome :D

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

So, I take it no one's up for a swimming naked members section in the gallery either? Damn . . .

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

No problem there Par, I'm sure Jeff is going to come up with a list of 'other' sites where we can go look at them nekked swimmers :D

I want to add, nothing in life is always just perfect...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
< link got blanked??? | User Tina123 is spam! >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.