Richard II

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by dskira, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

To have banned Richard is just insane. Why? because is one of the most professional and the one we all can learn something from him. His experience speak volume.
    A lot of members with just insults in their languages and complete incompetence are welcome and protected.
    Ban Richard show that the boatdesign is just not up to the task.
    Richard is not always easy to handle, and I had in the pass my own battle with him. It was from my part a mistake, and I discovered a genuine man, very generous and willing to teach me what I don't know.
    I am very honored to be his friend.
    If some can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. But don't use the authority you have to ban him. It's weak.
    Daniel

1 person likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Richard

Richard has been very helpful to me and I appreciate it a lot. Didn't realize he had been banned-hope it is just a mistake. Thanks, Richard for helping so much when I really needed it! Doug

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Hear hear.

If you ban the professionals...what is the point of the forum for those seeking advice, when you you ban those they seek advice from.

Pathetic..

He called a spade a spade...his honesty and insight is what is need, not rounded woolly words of meaningless praise to massage ego's.

There is no emotion in engineering....that is for those whom have inferiority complexes about other people that know more than they do, and simply seek adulation.

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Again- I also see the abundant value that Richard brings to our forum.

5. fg1inc

fg1inc Guest

Hopefully, this forum is not about personalities. It should be about knowlege. To ban an individual with the knowlege that Richard has is absolutely absurd.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Why was he banned? There may be a good reason. If the forum is about knowledge, we should find out the reason before forming an opinion.

7. girvin

girvin Junior Member

This is crap. I have learned so much from richard by just lurking. Bring him back!

8. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Every forum needs a "Richard " this is a lesser place without him.

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Ditto to all the above.

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

Well, I went immediately to one of his threads and It said "guest" under his name... I don't know what that's about. Did he contact you, Daniel. He's banned? I always thought I'd look him up when I wasn't so busy but now, how?

11. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

What the ......., is Richard banned? That's why he hasn't been seen.... I thought he was just hibernating to survive this bloody winter. He is the salt and pepper here, with a professional insight and refreshing acidity; so bring him back in NOW, or close the shop altogether!!!!!!

12. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Responding to another complaint, I told Richard (apex1) that I greatly respected his experience, but his rudeness and behavior sometimes crossed the line.

To a rude comment I gave him negative rep as any other forum member could do, and again, signed my comment with my name that I appreciated his experience but his behavior and comments sometimes crossed the line.

Richard responded
    Because of his experience I have bent over backwards to accommodate his style and tolerated remarks from Richard to myself and many many others far in excess of what would be grounds for banning any less-experienced member because I did greatly appreciate him sharing his experience. No other professional member has broken the rules in terms of attacking other people so often, nor using so many derogatory or curse words.

Over the past two years, I have answered over a dozen complaints from other members complaining that they have been called an ******* or similar derogatory or curse terms by Richard, and I have been very polite and explained that while he may lack politeness at times, he made up for it with his knowledge and they would have to adjust to his way of talking and not be offended. I've had disagreements with Richard before but have always worked things out even if I had to bite my tongue as I do respect his knowledge and experience.

I try to never act in haste or based on emotion. I always step back and try to evaluate things objectively. I waited two days to see if I would receive an apology, but none was forthcoming. Therefore his account has now been removed as a result of the above and that is non-reversible. There has to be a line. I do not know of any forum where someone can direct the moderator to "kiss their ***," and frankly, that's it. I appreciated the time he spent on the site; I will miss his experience, but I'm sure he is busy enough. And I hope he finds greater happiness in his current projects.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I was troubled by the manner in which http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/forum-questions-suggestions/richard-36816.html was banned, but I did not speak up at the time; I wish I had. That thread was closed abruptly.

I request the moderator not to close this thread quite so quickly, until the members have had an adequate opportunity to express regret at losing Richard or appreciation for his service in the past. I do believe this comes under the heading of "All Things Boats and Boating"

I have always admired Jeff's patience, we can be a quarrelsome bunch and some have been foul-mouthed and unreasonable. Some people here are a burden indeed but Richard's contributions and value to us surely outweighs his tendency to grouchiness IMHO.

In all honesty, I must admit that if I were in his place and was given such an insulting message, I might have reacted the same, but I have done a lot of stuff that I have later regretted, and that would have joined the list.

14. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry, but Richard went too far and as a result, his account was terminated.

I commented to him; then I gave him a negative rep, signed with my name, stating the following comment:
    Richard's response included:
    That is unacceptable, and as such, his account has been permanently terminated. I believe over the last two years I have been more than tolerant of his rudeness at times such as his calling other members *******s, twats, etc. in respect of the experience he shared which I greatly appreciated, but there is a line.

If anyone tells the moderator to "kiss my ***" instead of slightly adjusting their comments to be less rude, that is going too far and leaves no other course of action. I waited two days for an apology and/or message from him making some concession to be at least a bit more polite, but none was forthcoming.

I definitely do not like banning people, and thankfully other than the new signup spammers and those posting illegal software and such, less than a dozen members have had to be banned over the last 10 years for flat-out refusing to follow the rules or repeated grossly bad behavior. I suspect it bothers me more than it will bother Richard as I'm sure he has plenty to do. Instructing the moderator to "kiss my ***" is going too far though and thus his account has been permanently terminated.

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Jeff I know you have an unenviable position is this. But Richard is really hurting over this. I missed the exchange but I believe it was about a member called "Wickedgood" spoiling the game on the "where is this" thread. Nor apparently was he alone in his view
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/where-17014-365.html#post443469

What is the best way of punishing delinquency in a society. Is it banishment or some form of demeaning punishment?
    Would it in the future be worth as a first action resetting points to zero or a partial banishment for a certain time period?

Or is it just a case of any rudeness to the site owner gets a chance of 48 hours to apologise and is then chopped for good.

I wonder if Richard had understood the real significance of a hot headed comment or if he was even aware that he had the option of apologising when he'd cooled off.

The question I have is would you now allow him to re-register anew chastened and penitent although Richards own sense of dignity might not brook that course of action it might actually work for everyone.

< Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics Forum | Network maintenance March 13, 2011 >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.