Question for the moderator

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by dskira, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Jeff
    When did you create the boatdesign.net? Why did you create it?
    Did you have to work full time to maintain the forum? Can you maintain the forum from anywhere or do you have an office staff in one location?
    Did it worth it to open a forum, can you do a living with a forum.
    I hope I am not to rude asking these question, since after all I am a guest of your forum and you. But I always wounder how forum can be a business, and how forum works behind the scene.
    Thank you
    Daniel

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

BoatDesign.net started in 1999. The Boat Design Net forums started in 2000 although there was a relaunch in 2001 so those who registered in the first iteration in 2000 had to re-register in 2001.

Even though the current technology trend is definitely cloud-based and distributed, servers are still in two physical locations as this post is written. It is possible to maintain from anywhere provided reliable internet connections and provided capable professionals are in place to troubleshoot the rare but still real issues that sometimes come up at the datacenters. Possibly someday soon every aspect of hosting will be abstracted fully, but there is still an aspect of both hardware and software involved.

The BoatDesign.net forums have been well worth it because even though there are sometimes a few frustrations, when a few people can't get along with eachother for example, overall it's great to have hundreds of people visiting each day to share this common interest, and every day it's enjoyable to see what people are working on and what new questions people have on this or that aspect of the boat they're working on or dreaming of, or what new design someone is exploring, and enjoyable reading and learning from all those who share their expertise and experience on the forums every day.

I don't know that a forum will ever make anyone rich, but I suppose you could say that about most things related to boats. (If profitability was a primary goal, I suspect other specific niches or broader interest areas could potentially be much more profitable areas for a business venture) The forum did operate at a financial loss for years starting out, but it is now self sustaining.

If you would like to discuss in more detail, please send an email to webmaster@boatdesign.net

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I really appreciate your answer. No I have a good idea how what is behind the scene a forum and how you run it. I had really no clue.
    For sure if I have other questions I will e-mail you.
    Thank you
    Daniel

< Paul B ban | Where is Boston >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.