New Forum Proposal: DIY Marinizing Engines

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by gonzo, Aug 22, 2004.

?

Do we need a separate forum?

1. YES

80.0%
  2. NO

20.0%
  1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is an ongoing and healthy debate about diy marinizing engines. My position is that safety comes first, so electrical and fuel systems MUST be legal. On the other hand, some automotive components, while not as durable or adequate for the use as marine, can do a mediocre job. I think this subject deserves a forum of it own.

2. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Hi Gonzo,

Let's get ready to rumble,.... LOL

Don't know if we need a own forum but the item is kinda hot

I do agree with you about safety first but as you know on the other thread I am sure
    there can be an good solution using good quality car, truck, crane,... engine out of a wrecked vehicule for a good price.

Greetz,

Daniel Peeters

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Sounds good Gonzo. Maybe Jeff can morph all other like threads into a single auto marinization thread and go from there. My stand is if you use a good beefy engine such as a small or big block Chevy/ Chrysler and use all the accessories from a Crusader, PCM...... you can "marinize" an auto engine. I've seen many a shrimper do this with old Chrysler 318s and 360s. Don't even bother with wet manifolds, they just lag the stockers and run a stack/ muffler up the back of the house. Keeping in mind of course that these engines are under cover on the weather decks, not under the cabin sole! :D

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Perhaps the theme for debate should be Safe Engineering Practice in Inboard Motor Boat Instalation.But who decides what is safe practice?For instance US Coast Guard points out the safety of jet propulsion for swimmers and divers ect,but does not point out that if you are a jet boat driver you should be aware that if your motor stops,areates,blocks with plastic bags or areares in a fast following seas,or even if you turn to sharp,you have no steering,and steering is important especially in confined spaces at speed.Regulatory bodies get their expertise and advice from industry experts with vested interests,so making laws means everyone must make the same mistakes,even if there are better practices.You should be allowed to use the better method.

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Ramblings

Yes
    Engine marinisation is a very common topic with home boat builders and DIY re-powerers. Some Disasters, some very good installations.

Diesel is safest of course to marinise, gives the best economy kW/litre.
    Find if you can, Industrial grade diesels rather than automotive. These often hide in the strangest places, a friend bought one from a wrecked road-works air compressor plant. Tractor engines are good. The tricky part is the engine gbox adapter/alignment , matching splines etc. Balance and vibration are also issues at engine rpm.

Exhuast water jacketed/manifolds are easily and cheaply manufactured in steel I have a simple design I could post if anyone wants, they last well and are very easy to make.

I like dry exhausts and keel cooling.

Big automotive gasoline engines need air cooling, fuel injection is safer and more reliable than a carby system. Consideration of the Mounting is paramount. The factory mounts from an automotive installation don't suit and you need to consider the vibration modes and frequencies.

Reliability is all important... do it properly.

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Hi Mikejohns,There was a National Boat Show here in New Zealand which displayed the very latest from the leading manufactures of the world.Deisel motors and drives did not have marine safe alternators.These units would be fitted to boats as replacements in old boats,or for new.There is always danger from fuels in boats turning to vapour.There is every likely possability that the boats would have LPG cookers or other means of cooking or heating.it would be preferable to aim at safety in all aspects.Perhaps manufacturers could undate their methods.

7. yipster

yipster designer

:) i would read it and guess a separate forum makes sense
    yet who am i having option 2 neglected and going out boating around in a regular...

if too many forums isnt the way i gladly propose "O2" to be back as regular thread in favor of "DIY marinising engines",
    in short: i dont know :cool:

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

My first throught was to create the following subforums under Powerboats:

-Powerboats
    --Diesel Engines
    --Gasoline Engines
    --DIY Marinizing
    --Drives (Sterndrives, Surface drives, etc.)
    --Outboards
    --Props

As yipster says, the hesitation is that people seem not to post much in a new empty forum, so it takes some time to get each forum going.

Possibly it would be better to start with
    -Powerboats
    --Propulsion
    --DIY Marinizing

and then split propulsion as necessary later on.

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

DIY Marinizing is a fact of life for many people,it is that or go without.Hopefully people with questions will go strait there.

< Server Upgrade Window: 9/15/2004 - 9/16/2004 | Member >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.