Kind of missing old Brent Swain, aka Jack Hickson...

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Wynand N, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Wonder what happened to this once formidable adversary:?:

Although he brought out the worst of us with his hillbilly like reasoning for most things structural, his challenges for demolition derby's, not to mention his repetitive pointless rants and sometimes insulting nature, for reasons I cannot fathom, I do miss the great man:confused:

He gave us so much fun, grey hair and near heart attacks, but that were far better than some posters we currently have and one troll comes to mind with his dubious ways, but let me not get personal as its against forum rules;)
    Brent then came back at one stage as the noble Jack Hickson in the notorious "stability" thread and oh boy, was that fun until Jeff stepped in as were the usual results in BS threads/posts.

That said, the guy did helped a lot of people getting to built their own boats although the numbers he quotes are highly suspect. He really went out of his way with tips how to get there tubs build on a shoestring budget and for that I salute him. :)
    In hindsight, perhaps I should have looked at his boats and endeavors through Brent's glasses instead of bullying him in posts with "proper" boatbuilding techniques and maths. Now a bit older after the fact makes me feel a bit guilty, but then again, old Brent had a mean streak himself when for instance when he lost a showdown with me reverting to insults like calling me obese and a racist:confused:. But then again, that was Brent's nature and to be expected - I even remember a post where I and others were challenged to stepping into a boxing ring with him..:D

Brent made claims that he cruises for about 10 months of a year which again, quite a few of us took with some salt, but its about 18 months if memory serves me right since we last heard of the great man himself. I wonder if he is still around and well or did his own creation became his epitaph on one of his cruises? Hope not.

Brent, if you by any chance read this, why not say hello and tell us about your recent travels:cool:

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

He's propably lurking possible vict... errr.. sheeps to shear... sorry, meant of course welding work with free library computer somehere btw Vancouver and Ketchigan..

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately, it seemed those 2010 threads became a loop and degraded to personal attacks. Naval architects and professional boatbuilders expressed concerns over the safety of continuing assertions and were frustrated that he was using the forum to sell a product without backing it up by answering their questions with engineering calculation.

Given the acrimonious exchanges in the past, it would probably be best to check the origami yahoo group for recent status http://groups.yahoo.com/group/origamiboats/messages

< Not Able to add reply to my previous thread | Page Selection on Thread Index Page >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.