Idiot posts cluttering up the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by tansails, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

frade so!were definately off-topic!

2. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

I aggree with Johnathan Cole, quote: "One man's idiocy is another's entertainment" unquote, lighten up and have a laugh. The serous threads are there and providing a wonderful oportunity for us all in the business of boats and design and more.........

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I think this is an irrelevant and idiotic thread... there is no idiot and no silly thread have been found and complaint so far... the forum is a safe and new nurtured space to be in, lets lock this thread ?

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

ok westlawn ,,,lock on and beam me up,,,,,,,,,,

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Idiot posts

Well I think there should be an Idiot thread...where else will I get my irrelevant and silly comments posted.....:(

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why on the pirate thread of course.

I like to 'have a play' on these 'fun threads' I think it helps to lighten up a bit and are just as much fun and is more like reall life.

You gotta have a laugh now and then, although I know some people dont and cant, everything is so serious to these people and any attempt at fun is anoying to them.

Thats a shame.

I am not really sure what the neg points do. Psycoligically I think they do nothing but irritate and possibly deter further posting.

I really dont see them as being any use for anything else.

There are some highy trained people here who have many years of experience. I think it shows a lack of respect to have to accept an anonimous neg point by some one that just didnt understand or know whats going on---basically in thier ignorance-- dis- agree.

It will hardly encourage further posting from the experts.

It might be the reason that expert advice seams to be drying up a little on this forum. But it could just be my imagination.

I have in the past given neg points for foolish and petty posts, but always regreted it, unfortunately the soft ware of the forum will not allow me do put things right.

I also admit to being suscpetable to moods as will others, making my decision for neg reps inconsistent and un reliable.

What I am trying to say is "I dont like the rep points at all"

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

yes.. there is serious threads that have meaning,,and tecknical substance ,,and then there is the fun or not so seriousthreads ,,those of us who have been here for awhile know the differance,,this site lets us blow off steem ,,it lets us gather knowledge,,,,we settle disputes ,or differance of opinion,,,I learn something everytime I log on ,,sorry for those that cant ,,,,,,,by the way points mean nothing to me,,so take mine if it gives you some pleasure,,but I will say this if you do ,,have the courtisy to tell me who you are and why,,,,so I will have the chance to better myself ,,,,,I dont like the points system ,,but if we were required to revele ourselfs ,,I think it would be better ,,,and also I always sign my name to everything anyway ,,,,longliner

8. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I agree absolutely, look at my post #18 in the following http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=140734#post140734

Not only was I given neg feedback (4 points off) but was also called a Pratt with no explanation of what upset the detractor.

I reworded my post in case there was something offensive in the way I had written it but I really think it is just payback for daring to disagree with someone on another topic in the past.

That sort of behavior is at best churlish and certainly drives away any urge to contribute.

Perhaps the negatives should only be available for breaches of the forum rules rather than a way of punishing different opinions.

I suppose removal of anonymity would do the trick.

Jack ..........I have PM ed you on a different topic
    cheers

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

From my simple viewpoint there are two parts to this forum - the serious stuff and the tounge in cheek not so serious stuff! this section is the latter! where as Jack Bergalia and others quite rightly say lets lighten up and have some fun!

It's quite simple if you want to be serious thre's a whole forum above to be serious - if you want to let of steam this is the section! Whilst the point system may be good in the other sections THIS section should NOT be subject to the point system good or bad!

"hey jack I think that idea is crap! 'Well mike tough thats the way I see it"

Surely we all at some stage have a difference of opinion and somebody gets up our nose - so instead of secretly taking away somebodies points because he doesn't think your way why not have a 'pop' at him online, in the open! Tell him ehy you think he's an idiot! If he's a man (or woman) he'll take it and give you reasons why!! If he's a wimp or little girl he she or it shouldn't be talking to the big boys so go back to your comic book heros -

as the old saying goes "if you can't stand the heat get outa the kitchen"

Mike - the Walrus

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Idiot posts....

Sagely put Walrus. Obviously gained from experience at sea. (How's the knees, by the way?). When disagreements arose among my crew (several ex-residents of HM's barred hostels) on any subject of firmly held views - perhaps the validity of Okam's Razor, or Proust's thoughts on immortality, the adversaries would step out on deck and debate the points 'privately.'
    Usually concluded a head butt, however leaving their colleague's 'point system' intact. :p

11. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Er Mike I think you are actually agreeing here aren't you? We are all complaining whinging and whining about the points system.;)

The point that Jack was making in his last post (unless i'm very mistaken) is pretty similar to what you are saying.

I am agreeing with Jack that the points system is questionable in its ability to achieve anything. Particularly if it's being used for example as I just experienced as a vehicle for insults with complete anonymity and frankly such behaviour will put people off.

If the points were not anonymous you would at least have the right of reply!

Cheers

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I will go along with that,--abandon the anonimity and neg points will disapear overnight.

If a confontation was necessary in so much that an explanation of the neg points was required. People would not give neg points, therefore their reason for doing so would not be that strong.

If one is really serious about something deserving neg points then they should be equally as serious about explaining why.

I think Mike johns made a point about people giving neg points for a different post. This of course is mis-use of the system, but im sure it goes on.

It is imperative that a name be put to critisicm.

Its going agains human morals to be punished with out knowing why.

Or even worse --what for.

I dont hear one person saying "I like the neg points and I like them to be anonimous".

13. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Er Jack, I like the neg points and I like them to be anonimous.

Is there something I can't see here.

Why is everybody worried about the points system?

Take all of my points, I don't care, I've only looked at them about twice since I have been on the forum.

Is there somethiong I don't know, when you reach a thousand points does the forum send you a thousand dollars? If so then I'll start worrying about them.

If you don't like negative points don't bloody look at them.

Poida

P.S. I will look at them tomorrow to see if I've lost all my points. lol

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Poida --I tried to give you some neg points but the computer wont let me. Apparantly -- I must have given you too many good points recently.

Waste of time really if you dont look. Youve got more than me any way.

Stupid scheme --dont bloody work half the time.

Yes I am criticising---constructive criticism.

You know who I am what I dont like and why--simple isnt it.

15. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Precisely!

< Frank Mighetto Poll | Deleating Emails >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.