About locking the "AC 45 WC Cheating" thread

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Blackburn, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I had spent quite a lot of time writing on the aforementioned thread, and the story has not by any means reached a conclusion.

The moderator then locked the thread yesterday, when he/she had a number of other options available, short of that.

LINK

I'll take a break from posting here, while you figure out if you were too quick to pull the trigger.

:)

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I support the closing of that thread 100%.

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

If there are some specific design changes or interesting design information that comes out of it, it would be better to start a new thread on those technological and design aspects.

Unfortunately that thread was becoming too full of jabs and insults. It would be better to direct the hot tempered jabs and insults to another forum. All the informational posts you made are still available to read and refer to; however when a thread starts to go in a bad direction and becomes more hostile and irritating to others rather than informative and interesting, a few threads will be closed occasionally. If there is new and interesting design information, a new thread can always be started and then the new ideas hopefully won't be bogged down in a rehash of the same. The objective is to keep the forums here polite to everyone and productive to discussing design ideas. Thanks for your understanding.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I agree that the thread had not reached it's conclusion and was an interesting discussion that deserved to continue. That one of the sticking points of the new protocol may be the wish by Coutts to sideline the ISAF in the adjudication process is an interesting point that will have ongoing ramifications. Whether you think that Oracle team set out to intentionally cheat or not it was a serious failure of oversight by the administration of the team and one they seem to be eager to sweep under the carpet rather than address. I do concede however that this is Jeff's call but maybe a cull of the off topic and abusive posts within the thread could be a better solution?

5. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

If there is some new substantive information or some interesting new design aspects or ideas, you are always welcome to start a new thread. If it can be focused in a more more technical / professional way, it will hopefully be more productive.

6. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

The thread had come as far as 227 posts as of this Sunday the 14th, and with perhaps one or two minor exceptions, all those posts on a difficult subject had been entirely polite, respectful, and on topic.

The most complicated, and technical, problem ever faced by an America's Cup Jury. Design-relevant because there has never been so costly and vaunted a one-design as the AC45.

Someone who had never before contributed in the thread then wrote "Perhaps it is time that this thread with all its hate and lies be consigned to the ash pile of history".

That characterization makes no sense if you look through the thread prior to that day (prior to post# 229). It is entirely false.

But the thread was then promptly locked as if in agreement.

For my part I don't start many threads, I avoid it. I wouldn't want to start a new thread when the previous long one got such short shrift. Contributing mostly in existing threads, I enjoy it when they become longer and are allowed to evolve over time, and dislike it when something like this occurs.

< rotated photo | Personal Refences Threads >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.