What to do with your fg/kev/carb scraps?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Toot, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I have a bunch of cutoffs and scraps from various projects. I'm in the habit of tossing them in a box and whenever I'm doing something non-structural where I need a little extra bit here or there, I stick it on. But the scraps are building up faster than I can use them and, quite frankly, a lot of the scraps are just really tiny.

Does anybody have a creative use for them? Or should I just toss em in the trash?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

That'll come in handy f'r sumfin?

Toot if you keep every scrap, they'll haunt you & become a problem - storage issue, get a box you can easily move & afford the space for , put em in , wot dont fit - chuck-, cull out the crap & move on, disregard that it might be hi $ per m2, its still waste that was figured on at the project start. I've just been on a job where the owner was a real womble(collector of crap)- had the 40' boat just about shored up all round with off cuts etc- real fire trap stuff, it cost plenty of time to sort so we could start work & when you figure it was packed in there & then packed off to live out some more time under their house! & eventually be packed off to the tip or where ever? it can be seen as not good to develop a hoarding "disorder", now I think tomorrow I'll hitch up the box trailer for a tip run, cos I hate mess & moving stuff thats in my way!!! Regards from Jeff.:)

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

u could always chop it up and use it for filler medium ,scrap is really crap, i only keep pieces that i can use the tiny pieces go in the trash , anyways if your priceing a job or doing a project you have to add the scrap in consideration ive worked on industrial fabacation and for every 4 rolls of mat or cloth 1 was scrap

4. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Yeah, I price it in, so it's "paid for". And I definitely have no problem with tossing any piece that won't find a use. I just wondered if anybody had a use that I hadn't thought of...

Yeah, the thought of using it for filler occured to me. 'course, I'd have to take the time to chop it up and I don't know that I'm that much of a penny pincher....

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Maybe you can mold em into a fabulous clear finshed super tech carry-all tool box? Jeff.

6. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

I just hate throwing out wood offcuts, foam offcuts, 'glass offcuts.... but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I've got a set of stacking plastic bins so I can keep the carbon separate from the kevlar separate from the s-glass etc, and one box for wood and one box for foam. When the bins are overflowing its time to take an hour to cull through them and throw out the smaller scraps and keep the larger ones.

Also helps to keep a trash can near the saws and near the cutting table, just to mentally ease the pain of tossing the offcuts as they happen :)

7. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

And, that box you keep the scraps in is makes a great incubator. When you are not looking, the scraps will multiply. Worse than rabbits. Same goes for that jar of random screws.

;-)