waxing new mould

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by garrybull, Jun 9, 2014.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I used the soft parts of old bath towels, cut into about 8" squares with any embroidery and hard selvaged edges cut off. I would wash and dry them to use over and over, they just got better and better for waxing molds.

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

thanks for all your replies guys.

ive not made up my mind what im going to do yet.

i have just started to wet flat the hull mould sections and should have them ready for polishing next week.

after speaking to a local boat building company who use mirror glaze 8 im going to order a couple tins of that for waxing the moulds.

will decide about the pva once i have all the moulds polished up and waxed ready for use.

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks for the update Gary. There is a lot of work in those moulds and a nice new deck plug and mould for the craft too. FWIW, Gary kindly asked if I would look over these parts, last week and I have set eyes on them.

The hull looks good, although I would personally have changed the strake (spray chine) runs, slightly and lengthened the inner ones to the transom. However it is not going to hold the beast back!. The new deck is more in keeping with a smart modern work/fishing craft and should be practical and good looking too. The tunnel version should be pretty stable, and the mould split lines should allow release without too much trouble.

My impression is that she has a reasonably steep deadrise which will work well in choppy stuff - like the Solent. She should also give that extra stability when at anchor by virtue of the tunnel to make her a pleasant fishing craft.

Nice work Gary, look forward to seeing the mouldings and her coming together. Sorry I forgot to bring down some Mirrorglaze 8! which I had intended to do. redreuben will note that the 8 is a carnauba based wax, very different smell and feel to the 88.

4. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

thanks mate.

one side of the hull mould is all wet flatted now ready for polishing up.

im picking up some mirror glaze 8 tomorrow.

your more than welcome to pop down any time to see how things are coming along.

once all the polishing is done i'll post up the pics on my other thread.