Waverunner construction & materials

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pescaloco, Aug 9, 2010.

1. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Hi I was hoping someone might have the scoop on this ?

I have a person that has asked for a fiberglass/gelcoat repair on their yahama waverunner. He lives far away so I had him send some pictures, from what I could see the upper hull section has an impact but the damaged area looks like it may not actually be fiberglass and gelcoat, but maybe thermal formed plastic and paint.

Hope somebody has some knowledge of this, I have never done any repair work on a waverunner. I tried to do a google search and came up with nothing.

Thank you

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Share you pictures !! and you might get a answer quicker :eek: :confused: :D :p

3. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

I can do that, but there still just pictures...not a for sure as to the materials

4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

The less the unknown variables the easier it is to help (not that i can add anything though :D im a beginner ;) )

5. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Come on guys, are you saying that if I post pictures that someone sent me of their wave runner you can tell me what the construction materials are ? FOR SURE ? paint or gelcoat ? plastic or fiberglass ? there is no visable fiber damage just concentric rings at the point of impact.

I was hoping perhaps one of our fine members had some direct knowledge, but thanks for the suggestion I am allready striking out so an edecuated opinion may be of some value, not sure how much though. I just don't want to have him drive 2 hours just to tell him sorry dude I can't fix it.

I'lll see if I can post a picture or 2

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

All boats are not created equal , depending on the shape will determine how its made and what its made out of !! A picture will clear the uncertinty a little . :confused:

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I just suggested to give out more information to help ;)

I am not sure but would searching further information yield the information from maybe the manufacturer, service manual or something along those lines? I assume there must be some reference to that some where?
    Maybe contacting the manufacturer might help? (might help if you have manufacture date as and model handy)

Dunno just wild guesses from my side :)

8. J3

J3 Junior Member

If you can't get through to anyone helpful at yamaha, try a dedicated jetski forum like http://www.pwcforum.com or http://www.pwctoday.com/ -- surely there are some owner who are discerning there or who have had a similar fix done to the same area.

Would always like to see photos of what we're talking about as fellow builders might well recognize the material. However, it seems clear we don't have a lot of jet skiers here...

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Some of the construction methods change periodically, so what I say may not be correct for this year and/or model ( which is unknown at this time).

Most are closed molded with filled polyester resin, so both sides will have a mold finish. Due to the higher filler content bonding with polyester is difficult, so most repairs are done with epoxy.

10. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

J3: thank you for the links. I will check it out !

Ondarvr:
    Thanks for the input, sorry I don't know the year or much at this time. I was not aware at all of their construction meathods, thank you for sharing that and the suggested epoxy repair Vs. poly or vinylester, that could save some real greif.