Vacuum bagging bulkheads

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tbot, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tbot

tbot Junior Member

When bagging Airex sandwich bulkheads (or other flat parts) on the table, how I avoid the entrapped air at the lower skin?
    Should I bag the skins separately or use breather fabric at the lower skin as well? Maybe perforated foam?
    Anyone have similar problem? Which setup do you use?
    :confused:

2. nassaw

nassaw Junior Member

Predrilll your foam. Resin will fill the hole after all the entraped air is removed. I put a small page together awhile back to help another potential builder out. I never finished it but you should get the jist.
    http://www.geocities.com/bcrepeau.geo/index20PANEL.html
    Good luck
    Bob C.

3. miniscool

miniscool New Member

hello nassaw. I'm also intrested in this technique but your page is not found...??
    How do you prevent the lower skin to glue to the table ? simply by waxing and peelply ?

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Wax the table to avoid adhesion. You could use peelply, but it is optional (at least on the table-side)

5. nassaw

nassaw Junior Member

Sorry about the page. Its a free site from geocities and they allow a certian amount of bandwidth. When this is reached they shut down the site until more is allocated. Just try back later.
    The table must be waxed peferably with a good mold release. Don't use a car wax. Car wax is made up of many chemicals, Some that are not compatable with resin and others like teflons that are tough to remove when it comes time to finish,
    The table can be treated like any mold and panels can be completed to gelcoat on the table side, If panels are to be put together to create a larger panel. Rebates and edge treatment are critical and time saving. I also have a joins sheet on a page. If interested just email me and I will post directly to you saving the bandwidth.
    Regards
    Bob c.