Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 12
From a V-? engine to a 4 cyl.... building the front engine pad

I have another thread dealing with the stringers and transome on my Cris Craft, but, now comes engine mounting questions....

The Cris Craft had a V-6 in her and had mounts on pedistals to the left and right, like a car enigine, nothing in the middle like a 4 banger. I want to go 4 banger now, so, I need to build a pad for the front engine mount. The engine I want to use, and you will all think I am now twice crazy, is the merc 3.7L stright 4. I guess, obviously, I need to make a structure that runs from port to starbord stringers. Do I embed this directly onto the hull with epoxy and glass? Do I only glass over top and let the cushyness of the wood rest on the bottom of the hull?