Using Molds

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by henryblowery, Apr 16, 2006.

1. henryblowery

henryblowery Junior Member

Someday I would like to make fiberglass boats and was wandering how you would go about learning to use/make the molds for them. I've thought (not seriously yet) about starting a small business making boats. I know, I've heard the saying "the best way to make a small fortune building boats is to start with a large one" but this would be a small operation for the fun of it more then anything else.

So, how would one go about learning to use and make the molds for small fiberglass boats? Thanks.

Gray

2. henryblowery

Sorry, I just read my post and realized that it was a very broad/unanswerable question.

What I'm going to do is "produce" sailboats that are in the 15' range, these boats are going to be designed and built for dinghy cruising. Are there any good books about building fiberglass boats(including the mold)?

I will start off building onesy twosy's and depending on the market I might try and expand my business.

I've got some sailing experience so I know how I want the end product to turn out but I have no fiberglass experience.

Please let me know if I let out any other vital information.

Gray

3. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Hey you're just down the interstate from me.

If it were me: I'd build a wooden prototype first. Take it out, find out where you'd like to fine-tune it.

Then you need to make a new plug (or use the prototype you built as a plug if you're satified with it's performance).

Then you can make a mold by http://sweetcomposites.com/Mold.html

There's much more info available about the subject, but that should get you started.

4. henryblowery

Yup, about 45 minutes to a hour down the road.

Thanks for the info and the link. If you build a plywood prototype will it handle the same when you make it in fiberglass? Thanks again.

Gray

5. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Depends on how much we want to split hairs, but in general, I'd say yes if it was built with the same specs and same weight. Getting the weight to be the same will depend highly on the materials you select. This part could be an entirely different topic.

Plywood (stitch and glue) is one option to build a prototype from wood. Strip built is another. Also ways such as plywood-on-frame. I'd don't think foam core would provide any weight benefits on a hull the size you wish to do.

I know a good fiberglass shop in Thomasville that does great work and is geared toward smaller projects such as yours. Owner designed his own sailboat molds at one time and I've seen his work. He'd be a good resource if you run into difficulties with the molding part.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If you build a plywood prototype you will limit the shape of the boat to the shapes you can make with plywood. No compound curves, no 'roundness' . Sam