USCG floatation regs on boats >20'

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brokensheer, Jun 23, 2014.

1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I am looking at a product called versi -foam its a 2# destiny closed cell material more over looking for the calculation to figure where I stand on how much I need and where to place it, Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Unless you are a USCG registered builder, you don't have to comply with their flotation requirements. This said, it's a good selling point on small craft.

One of our members (Ike) has a site > newboatbuilders.org < that has the information you want. Thumb through the pages and it'll turn up.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

USCG regulations for flotation apply only to monohull boats (both power and manually propelled) under 20 feet in length. ABYC has standards that recommend flotation for boats 20 feet and longer and other types of boats such as canoes, kayaks, pontoon boats, jetboats, sailboats, etc.

You can see the USCG regulations on my web site or at http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/flotation_landing.aspx. I do cover some of the ABYC standards for flotation but not all. For the ABYC standards see http://www.abycinc.org/

Do you have a more specific question?

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Thanks, Ike. You are a valuable resource to us all.

6. brokensheer

Thanks

I am a registered builder and in the process of finishing our first 15 mono ull rated at 50 hp outboard with portable fuel. The uscg had a fellow at a near bye testing center and he was helping me get it figured out! I have learned he is no longer employed there so I am searching this out and need all the help I can gather Thanks Bo

7. brokensheer

just purchased the download ! very cool Thanks!

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

contact Mr. Phillip Cappel at USCG HQ and ask him who the contact is at the test lab. philip.j.cappel@uscg.mil 202-372-1076 They moved recently so I don't know if that phone number is still good, but their e-mails are still good.

Thanks for buying the download. If you have any questions about it PM me.

9. brokensheer

Thanks Ike

10. brokensheer

just got word the USCG. no longer has a volunteer program, its now privatized and the fee here is 5000. with two hrs of consult, and 1500.retest fee!,,, seems out of most people league considering the marine industry has taken a heavy shot ! don't get me ranting on the Gov't

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

absolutely f...ing amazing!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.