Usage of microsphere, microballoons and silica

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by miss dynamite, May 8, 2005.

1. miss dynamite

miss dynamite New Member

Hello,

i want to learn more about the usage/caracteristics/effects/mixing of microballoons, microsphere, silica and graphite powder with epoxy.
    when and how do you use it ?
    do you have interesting source of information explaining this ?

Txs

2. yipster

yipster designer

miss dynamite,

they are help substances in mixing synthetic resins for various techniques and applications.

forexample chalk is cheep and lowers laminate pricing and improves stiffness. shrink is reduced but a laminate gets more sensitivity to moist.
    microballoons are hollow glass spheres added to the resin to get a lower weight while sanding is easyer. often used in plaster and fillets.

aerosil is a lightweight powder used to chance viscosity used for example on vertical applied resins without drip.

aluminum nitrate added to resins is flame retarding. needs to be 3/4 of the resin though. there are pigments and more additives.

microspheres are solid i believe and good for... gee forgot, someone knows better i'm sure.

used with care these additives can really do a good job.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.