Upside down

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by arthor, May 21, 2008.

1. arthor

arthor Junior Member

greetings

I know this sounds daft but can you laminate upside down??
    Reason being is that I am a bit pushed for space (I know- find somewhere bigger or do a smaller boat).
    1)I was thinking that if I make up a stitch and glue hull using 6mm? marine ply, it will be lighter to turn over after glassing. Then I could reinforce the bottom from the inside with thicker ply epoxied on and then glassed before using core cell on the sides. Does this sound ok?
    2) another option was to make it upright with all the bulkheads in having screwed and epoxied the panels to them. Then I would need to glass it. Is it a)Impossible b)tricky c)unadvisable
    I was thinking that if I were to wet out the ply then I could get the mat to stay on or am I flogging a dead horse?

thanks

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Why not make it one side, take it out, turn it around, take it back in, do the other side?

Seems much easier to me, unless, of course, you have to break down a wall to get the thing out? I'm serious, some people have to do that.

Also, I hope you have excellent ventilation where you plan to do this. You don't want to work with epoxy in some small, unventilated room.

Sorry, I don't have a clear cut answer, but of course it's possible, it's just that the result might not be what you want. How will you drape, say, 2 meters of cloth "in reverse"? I would try any way possible to not having to do it upside down. I know for a fact, that anything other than a wee, very narrow strip of cloth upside would look a mess if I were to do it upside down.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Cat builders do that when they join the hulls and bridge together. Not something you want to do if you don't have to..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.