unactified resin

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frosty, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I got a real good bond by painting unactified resin on wood.

Couple of days later paint again with actified resin (resin with hardener)

This gave days to soak rather than an hour or so before it hardens.

I did this by mistake leaving it for 2 days to go off but got real tacky, infact I did put some hardener in it but it may take a week or so.

So waddya think about that?

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

What do you want me to say ?? soak yes !! stick ??? for how long i wonder !! . Yeah once all the styrene evaporated it would be rather sticky !!and a tad gooey almost the consistancy of toffee !! good stuff to get on your cloths !! :p .

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Hay there 'old man c/w clay pipe'. What kind? - type of resin?? Can be done rather well with most polyester resin systems but not a good idea at all with epoxies.

Why not dilute your first resin coat with some acetone & styrene monomer & catalyse it at 1/2 to 1% if it's polyester. The styrene monomer will thin the resin down - help penetration but tend to make the polyester resin a tad more brittle (less solids content) & most of the styrene monomer will stay in the job - then by adding some acetone the resin will get even thinner & most of the acetone will evaporate as the resin is curing the excess acetone will be evaporated off due to the temperture of the resin is increasing as it cures. The acetone will have already done its job of thinning down the resin & allowing a deeper penetration with most woods except teak. As most of the acetone will now be gone - it'll have less effect on the solids content of the resing - allowing for a better cure. Properly cured polyester resin laminates are not an easy goal to achieve by any means. Polyester resins & teak are not good bed-partners.

How did you get along with your laminating of the poles to support your Bimini cover? Did you get the result that you were after? Ciao, james

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Frosty,

Did it ever harden? All the way thru? Was it epoxy?

I don't know how you would know if you didn't try to scrape it off. Supposedly epoxy doesn't "soak" in beyond the first layer of cut cells, end grain has a lot of cut cells so it soaks more.

Looks to me like you did a two layer cake - cake (wood), frosting (un-activated epoxy), cake (sort of - hardened epoxy). I assume the frosting will never harden and you will be unpleasantly surprised as soon as you bump something.

Let us know, you might have discovered something.