Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Rep: 116 Posts: 67
Ultrasonic thickness gauge for fiberglass

I am looking for ultrasonic thickness gauge for fiberglass.
The gauge has to be able to measure laminate with over 40% glass ratio and thickness of 30 mm (1 3/8). The gauges that surveyors use
on our boats do not measure above 25 mm thickness and higher glass ratio than about 35%.
If anyone knows about, or is using thickness gauge that can measure according to this, please pass on information on brand name and model number.
Thanks, Axel

Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Previous Member

I didnt really think you would get a reply ! I have never heard of such a animal in all my years in the glassing industry !!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Rep: 1240 Posts: 1,617
I had one, but indeed gave problems above 15mm or so. It also was inconsistent on different Vf ratios.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:59 PM

Rep: 416 Posts: 862
I also had one, it worked OK, and if I remember correctly you could read gel coat thickness and/or total laminate thickness. I don't think it would go up 1 3/8s though. I loaned it to a customer and it came back in non working condition, I never replaced it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Rep: 453 Posts: 885
Try some Geology sites. They may have something like that to ID Bones, Teeth n' Dirt.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboater View Post
I am looking for ultrasonic thickness gauge for fiberglass.
The gauge has to be able to measure laminate with over 40% glass ratio and thickness of 30 mm (1 3/8). The gauges that surveyors use
on our boats do not measure above 25 mm thickness and higher glass ratio than about 35%.
If anyone knows about, or is using thickness gauge that can measure according to this, please pass on information on brand name and model number.
Thanks, Axel
why do you want that kind of information for anyway ????
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
why do you want that kind of information for anyway ????
I want to buy one.
The surveyors can not measure the keel on our boats (27mm) and I want
to be able to measure infused laminate witch they can not do with their equipment.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
I want to buy one.
The surveyors can not measure the keel on our boats (27mm) and I want
to be able to measure infused laminate witch they can not do with their equipment.
If all the over lapping is done right the keel will have double the glass anyway so i still cant see the point of trying to measure it !!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
If all the over lapping is done right the keel will have double the glass anyway so i still cant see the point of trying to measure it !!
Thanks Tunnels, I am aware of how to figure out the thickness of the laminate by mat layup. But I still want to
be able to measure our boats for quality control and more. Sometimes we have got mat that is suppose to be 900gr/m2 but is only 800-820gr. Hence only 1,6mm instead of 1,8mm per layer.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Thanks Tunnels, I am aware of how to figure out the thickness of the laminate by mat layup. But I still want to
be able to measure our boats for quality control and more. Sometimes we have got mat that is suppose to be 900gr/m2 but is only 800-820gr. Hence only 1,6mm instead of 1,8mm per layer.
What kind of boats you making and how big ??
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
What kind of boats you making and how big ??
Last 2 years we have been making 10m commercial fishing boats (photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Ultrasonic thickness gauge for fiberglass-somi-10m.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Last 2 years we have been making 10m commercial fishing boats (photo).
LOOKS A NICE BOAT !!!You only do commercial boats ?
Ok next what is the laminant stack for the hull ? gel coat , csm ,and what glasses do you use ?? and you are infusing everything ??
just curious and interested thats all !
Old 04-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
LOOKS A NICE BOAT !!!You only do commercial boats ?
Ok next what is the laminant stack for the hull ? gel coat , csm ,and what glasses do you use ?? and you are infusing everything ??
just curious and interested thats all !
Thanks for your interest Tunnels. Tough I realize that there won't be many replies on the topic I would like stay on it. Commercial boats is all we do right now. We are using csm and doing everything the old fashion way. But next winter we might try infusing on a new boat we are designing (photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Ultrasonic thickness gauge for fiberglass-hlidarmynd.png  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Thanks for your interest Tunnels. Tough I realize that there won't be many replies on the topic I would like stay on it. Commercial boats is all we do right now. We are using csm and doing everything the old fashion way. But next winter we might try infusing on a new boat we are designing (photo).
Looks good some where in the 50 foot or a little longer ?? Whats the drive ? We have a 48 footer pleasure boat here and i can see lots advantages in the pod drive IPS for picking up pots and manouvering etc etc dont know about commercial use but
I tried to talk this company into using a pair of IPS in the 90 footer we are building ! Its like a canoe long and narrow and used on lakes in confined water ways but they went for stern drives instead so will have to have big thrusters at each end !!

Nothing wrong with glassing the old fashioned way and just use a resin gun to apply the resin ! its quick ,easy and consistant. I did some infusion a while back but could see it wasnt all its cracked up to be and unless you have a well schooled team 100% dedicated to the cause and know completely everything about every job it could very easely turn to custard in a very short time ! so i stay doing what i know works and is easy to sleep at night !! .

Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 AM

Rep: 1240 Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Quality control. Some people actually like to make sure everything is within spec...