Theoretical question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by natrlone, Jun 15, 2006.

1. natrlone

natrlone New Member

Let's say I was looking to buy a used fiberglass boat. 34 foot roughly around 1989 vintage. And the hull and deck was dull beyond just needing compounding and waxing. What would be the best way to bring back the shine? Paint or spraying colored gelcoat on? I have not bought this boat yet, and would probably farm out most restoration type work as I have no experience at this. What are some of your thoughts on this?

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

if your going to farm the job out i would have it painted , regelcoating will take to much in labour. some will say gelcoat is the only way to go but in my opinion alcraft or indura is the best paint and has a high gloss,find a shop and ask to see there work get referances and see there workmanship see if they cut corners by masking around hardware a lot of shops only care how the boat looks like when it leaves the shop

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Try buffing and waxing an area first, use an agressive compound and possibly light sanding to see if you can get the color and gloss back. If that fails then paint it, re-gel coating is a lot of work and there are too many things that can go wrong.

4. fiberglass jack

if you are going to buff the gelcoat try aqua buff its good first use the 1000 and then step up to the 2000 the stuff has really impressed me i did a larson that was very badly faded and got a good result not a showroom finsh but a good one you have to use a highspeed buffer and if you are new may do more damage then good you said u may farm the work out got to be a good shop around you but google aqua buff

5. craig mclean

craig mclean Junior Member

I agree with jack , being a 89' the oxidization will probably go deep and may need to be buffed twice with a heavy compond. What i've also done is wet sand with 600 then 1000, and buff this will leave a more consistant finish. Repaint should be last resort.

6. fiberglass jack

the aqua buff 1000 will do the same as wet sanding with 1000 just have to over a couple of time and spray some water as well i find windolene glass cleaner very good too the 1000 will give a ppor shine and has to be followed with 2000 for a good gloss

7. fiberglass jack

ILL do anything not to wet sand hate it so does my hands

8. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

Firstly try a heavy cutting compound like "3M fast cut". Then move a de-swirler components like "3M perfect-t III". That should do the job.

If this fails, wet sand the gelcoat with a very fine paper like 1000 or 1200.

To avoid this happening in future, I recommended twice a year to wax your boat with a liquid wax to ensure UV protection which leads to dis-colouration and chalking.

9. natrlone

natrlone New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. Right now, it looks like I may be sticking with my boat a little longer and not buying the other one. But you never know, if I do buy it I will try some of these suggestions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.