Suggestions Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by asianbandit, Oct 20, 2006.

1. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

I am wondering what is the best way to get all the gunk (old glue, years of funk) off the inside of my fiberglass boat? Is is acetone?

Also, what is the best way to repair the holes in the transom, and elsewhere on the boat, that go all the way through? Most holes are above the waterline but a few are below the water lime.

Pictures are below to show you what I am lookng at. Any Suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You may be able to do some good with a pressure washer, but you're not going to avoid dragging out the grinder and getting itchy. Grinding back to good 'glass is the only way to insure good contact for future repairs.

The holes in your transom look to have leaked for some time and this makes the core suspect. I would drill the holes out much oversize (at least twice) and fill with epoxy, hopping it will restore any localized rot that may have started. If you can depress the outer skin on the transom and have any deflection, the transom is probably rotten and will need a new core. If you got lucky and the rot is only around the holes then the over size hole trick will save it and prevent future moisture ingress of that area. When filling the holes, grind away the gel coat (both sides) about an inch around each hole and back fill with thickened epoxy of choice. Personally I would use a screw and two temporary backing blocks, so I could fill the hole and fair the inside and outside skins in one shot.