strommens vaerksted 14' trifoil

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Courtland, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Courtland

Courtland New Member

Looking for any info on this circa early 70's Swedish boat given to me. Hull similar to Ray Hunts early Boston Whalers

2. knut

knut New Member

Trifoil

I know a little about the Trifoil from Strommen, close to Oslo in Norway.
    You may see a few pictures in this link: http://home.online.no/~cepe/trifoil/modeller123.html

They had 3 sizes: 14, 16 and 18 feet long and was only produced a few years around 1970 before the factory was closed down in the oil crise early 70s. No too many was produced and they are hard to find also here in Norway.

Hope this was useful info for you. Best regards Knut

3. Courtland

Courtland New Member

THANK YOU. Yes, this is what I have (the 14 foot model). We cleaned up the boat and can tell that it has never been used. No outboard ever on the transom, etc. regards - Court McDonald

4. kareloh

kareloh New Member

(I know this is an old topic, but i'll post here anyway :cool: .)

I also own a Trifoil 14, which was given to me as well. It had a console installed before, the trottle is still visible on the pictures.
    I'm using it now as a fishing boat and i added a box/casting deck in the front. To make it look decent again, i added some rotfree marine-carpet (see before/after pics.

The boat is extremely suitable for fishing, as it is very stable.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just after it was given to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The result, after some hours of work.

Indeed it's very hard to find info/pictures of the trifoil modelles.
    By coincedence is found a similair boat like mine only 10 minutes from my boat. Any idea about the exact number of produced trifoils?

5. Trifoil70

Trifoil70 Junior Member

I have one too!

I just dug one of these out of overgrowth near the Hudson River. I intend to restore it to some degree, but maybe not completely as I can not find any detailed info on them. It is the "deluxe" Model 70, and still has the original hull i.d. tag on it.

I'll post some pics when I have some time at home. Been too busy!

Frank

6. Bitte

Bitte New Member

I have a Trifoil 70 De Lux and i found some pictures of the same boat in original. This is how they looked... and how my boat is going to look when it's ready...;)
    Just hope I know how to put pictures in here... lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  7. Trifoil70

Trifoil70 Junior Member

Thanks for the pics!

Boy, does that ever give me inspiration!

I don't have many good pics of my Trifoil. Here's some from last summer when I pulled it out of the weeds and undergrowth... The guy with the cap is my oldest boy, the other fellow is the guy who owned the boat.

Thanks for posting those pics. I saved them and they will be handy for reference.

Right now I'm restoring a '62 PowerCat 14T, a tri-maran tunnel hull 14' southern California speedboat. I'm not sure which boat to do next, as I have the Trifoil, a '59 14' Arkansas Traveler, and a '63 16' Span America. And on top of all those, I just bought a '75 dodge Dart!

Take care,

Frank

Attached Files:

8. Bitte

Bitte New Member

I have more pictures and I give them to you to.
    But don't ever call me boy again... lol... I'm a woman... over 50... :)

The yellow boat is mine and it's going to look as new again when I'm ready...
    Last time I renovated a boat it was a 23 foot sailboat in mahogny... and I worked many hard hours on that one...
    It looked like a furniture... so many layers of varnish, (8). Realy beatiful...
    Sorry for my bad english... not easy to write... I'm Swedish...

Take care and don't work to hard now with all your boats.

Attached Files:

9. Trifoil70

Trifoil70 Junior Member

Good luck!

I love working on boats!

And by the way, the use of "boy" in America is also used as an exclamation, i.e., no "sex" implied. As in "Boy, what a beautiful boat!" Or "Boy oh boy, do I ever have a headache!"

I'm over 50 too, and lol about that!

Also, you write a LOT better in English than I do in Swedish, which is not at all...

Frank
    South of Albany NY (north of NYC)

10. Trifoil70

Trifoil70 Junior Member

Attention Bitte!

Tell me, I see that beautiful blue and white Trifoil has a 40 horsepower motor on it. Do you know if that is the maximum rated horsepower for the Type 70? I only ask because I am planning to put an 85 horse motor on mine.

Take care,

Frank

11. Bitte

Bitte New Member

In troubbel now...

HELP… :confused:

I have a lot of information but it’s in swedish… can someone help me translate???:?:

When the boat was new they recomended a motor between 18-50 hp.
    Today a motor 40-45 hp should be simular to the old ones with 50 hp.
    But there was another Trifoil... GT... and that one had a motor up to 90 hp...
    The GT was not so much bigger... only 85 centimeters longer... and looks like the 70 De Lux.

They say about the trifoil that the weight of the motor doesn’t matter because the boat can carry weight like a truck...:idea:

Please let me know how it worked out with that big motor...:eek:

Realy take care now an fasten seatbelts onboard...:cool:

Here comes the information I need translatinghelp with...:?:

Trifoilen är stabil och solid i allt vad den gör. Man kan vandra runt i en Trifoil när den ligger stilla och den ändrar knappt ställning i vattnet.
    Den är mycket bra när man fiskar och måste stå upp i båten och den har bärkapacitet som en mindre lastbil.

Trifoilen tillverkades av Strømmens Værksted i Norge, från 1967 och framåt.
    1970 fanns det två versioner på 4,15 m - en "Sport" och en "de Luxe".
    Sporten var öppen, de Luxen hade fördäck och vindruta

Den är 1.67 bred och Sporten väger 184 kg utan motor. De luxen väger 205 kg.
    Det rekommenderades då en motorstyrka från 18 till 50 hk vilket skulle ge en toppfart på 36 knop. En motor då på 50 hk motsvarar en nyare motor på 40-45 hk.

Den var självlänsande och blev utrustad med wirestyrning och ratt. Dubbelt skrov med skumfyllnad gör den sjunkfri.

Dessutom gjorde man en mindre modell på 3,09 m med en motor på max 7 hk och en större modell på 5 m som kunde ha en motor på upp till 90 hk och som hade en toppfart på 38 knop.
    Med fördäck och vindruta så hette den modellen GT och kostade då inte mindre än 14.598 kr.

Denna norska båt är utpräglat styv på grund av sina tre kölar, (katedralskrov), som utgör grunden för hela Trifoilserien. Ingen annan båt i den storleken kan belastas så hårt utan att det går ut över säkerheten.

Tips: Montera inte någon motor under 40 hk (80% av max. rek.). Båtens egenskaper utnyttjas inte med för liten motor. Om du vill (pris), skulle en 4-takt sitta bra där bak. Motorvikten har på denna båt ingen betydelse.

12. Trifoil70

Trifoil70 Junior Member

That is helpful information Bitte, thanks!

I'll see if I can get an American Swede to translate. I might know someone like that, or they may know someone. It is certainly worth a try.

I figure this boat was so heavy because it is all water-logged foam under the floor. Maybe it's just the way they were built? I have yet to open up the floor to see. The floor needs replacement, so when I get started on this boat, that will be one of the first things I do. I am very curious as to what's under the floor, and the design of this boat in general. We will see!

My inclination is to use try 1968 85 horse Johnson on this boat. Then, both the boat and motor would be 1968 vintage, which would be kind of "cool."

Take care,

Frank

13. tinny

tinny New Member

trifoil translation

Don't know if anyone is still interested in the translation but i'll do it any way. Just roughly.

The trifoil is a very stabil boat in every thing it does. You can walk round in a trifoil without it even moving in the water. Very good for fishing as if you must stand it has the loading capasity of a small truck even at the rail.

Trifoil made by Strømmens Værksted(workshop) i Norway, from 1967 forward.
    By 1970 there was 2 versions at 4,15 m long- a "Sport" and a "de Luxe". The sport was open and the de Luxe had a windscreen and fordeck.

They are 1.67 wide and the sport weighs 184 kg without motor. The De luxe weighs 205 kg.
    The recomended motor size is from 18 till 50 hp which will give a top speep of round 36 knots. A 50 hp motor is the equivalent of a the newer 40-45 hp.

It's self emptying and comes with cable steering and a steering wheel. Dubble hull filled with foam making it un-sinkable.( or as they put it, sink free)

There was also a smaller model 3,09 m long with a 7 hp motor max and a larger at 5 m that can take up to a 90hp motor giving a top speep of 38 knots. With a fordeck and windscreen it was called a GT and costed no less than 14.598 kr (not certain if they meen swedish krona or norwegin?)

This norwegin boat is very tough due to the three hulls, which is tha base of the trifoil series. No other boat in this size class can be loaded as heavy as the trifoils without going over safty limits.

Tip: Don't mount anything smaller than a 40hp (80% of the recomended max size.). The boat isn't designed for small motors. A recomendation of a four stroke motor as a good choice. Because of the boats loading capabilitys you don't need to worry about motor weight as it can take what every you want.

Hope this helps someone out there.

14. slightlee

slightlee New Member

ive still got one

i picked one of these up about 5 years ago and its used often both for fishing and family days out.
    a fantastic stable boat, i have no intension of "upgrading the boat" just the motor-currently a yamaha 20hp . i want to nudge up to probably a 40hp when funds permit.
    the boat planes and handles fine with the 20hp with me and my mate and our fishing gear until you get some big troughs!
    it does struggle with 3 or more with all our picnic and beach stuff on board but i think thats to be expected.
    i will try to post some pics... its probably the only one left afloat! the design is superb and am surprised no-one has picked up on it and started to make them again.

15. Jack Boggis

Jack Boggis New Member

Hello,
    I got one of these in 2019 and am very glad I found this thread. I am wondering if anyone knows the rough payload of one of these boats (eg maximum carry)
    Thanks
    Jack

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.