steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MilitaryPopo, Jan 6, 2006.

1. MilitaryPopo

MilitaryPopo Junior Member

i am trying to remove a steering wheel from a 1989 renken 2000 classic and can't even get it to budge a bit. any ideas?

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

You will need a steering wheel puller to remove it without damage. You can also use a gear puller, they are cheaper.

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Run the nut out to the top of the helm shaft and stop it flush with the top (to protect the threads). Then while pulling on the helm with one hand, bang on the helm shaft and nut with a hefty hammer, being careful not to damage the nut (hit squarely). The helm will pop loose. Remove the nut and off she comes!

4. MilitaryPopo

i'm not real familiar with steering wheel/gear pullers, but i'm pretty sure they need something to pull against. it looks like there is just cheap plywood/particle board for it to hook on, i don't think it would work? am i mistaken?

5. MilitaryPopo

as far as corpus skipper said, there is not nut to run out, wheel is flush with the shaft, i have placed a random bolt against shaft and hit it with a hammer while pulling on wheel, not one bit of movement

6. Corpus Skipper

:confused: Haven't run across this type of helm before. Got a picture? Maybe there's some kinda set screw or something?

7. MilitaryPopo

how do i post a pic?

8. Corpus Skipper

Not quite sure. I managed to upload a picture, but can't figure out how to add it to the post. Help?:confused:

Attached Files:

9. Corpus Skipper

Never mind! Seems I did it without even knowing!

10. MilitaryPopo

how did u put a pic on?

11. Corpus Skipper

Upload your picture in the reply box (click the paper clip). Upload it and boom, there it is!. Learn sumthin' new every day!:D

12. MilitaryPopo

pics

ok, here goes a shot

Attached Files:

13. MilitaryPopo

looks like there should have been a nut, but really doesn't matter, can't knock it loose to save my life

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll bet if you look closely you'll find a set screw or split pin. This may be an older style of helm, before standardized tapered shafts and keyways were incorporated. Remove the set screw or spit pin, then bang on the rim gently, working around 360 degrees. It will slowly move then suddenly pop loose. A puller will still work, but if you don't think the wheel is up to it, go slow. Place a socket, smaller then the diameter of the shaft, on the shaft, under the foot of the puller, if the puller foot is bigger then the shaft. Apply pressure with a few turns of the puller screw, then tap on the backside of the wheel, tighten some more, tap some more, etc. A good soaking with penetrating oil helps a lot. Talk to it nice, so you don't break things.

What manufacture is the helm? Model number?

15. MilitaryPopo

i'll have to get back to u on that info, pretty dark out there right now and i don't have the info on hand right now. i really appreciate the help though, i'll try to get the info tomorrow afternoon. thanks a lot!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.