Spraying gelcoat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Sunfish52981, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Sunfish52981

Sunfish52981 New Member

I am re-finishing my 1976 Sunfish hull's gelcoat. I have a gravity type sprayer with a 2.3mm tip. After I spray coats 1 and 2, do I have to spray with a smaller tip gravity sprayer like a 1.4mm for the final gelcoat layer with wax? OR will the 2.3mm give me just as good a finish.

Also, I am dewaxing it and sanding with 120 and 220 the existing finish. I will use MEK to reactivate the gelcoat. Any advice or wisdom on this let me know. How long do you wait in between coats? My gut tells me after the first coat, wait until it is tacky then spray number 2 and 3 layers.

Thanks

Sunfish52981

2. Tynaje

Tynaje Junior Member

www.minicraft.com for great advice...........
    Duratec High Gloss Clear(I used to use their high gloss additive but have been convinced to use the super high gloss clear adding mek to reduce viscosity{high gloss additive is apparently the super gloss with mek added by Hawkeye,info from their tech guy})
    Mix the Duratec 50/50 with your gel coat,then reduce with mek as needed to spray(with large tip primer gun)
    There is no need for wax additives as the properties are in the duratec(it will cure hard and tack free)
    I will try to make this simple.........and short........
    the profile(shine) in gelcoat is drawn away from open air ,in molds this means the highest shine is at the mold surface.Sanding this surface removes the best shine properties and gets harder to bring back the shine after buffing.
    Paints are opposite,,properties are drawn to air.........color sanding KILLS the profile and requires clear to stop the "chaulking"
    Adding the Duratec gloss (and their vooddoo additives ) allow the profile to be suspened throughout the mil thickness,making buffback easy and fast and the shine will blind you.
    If you are spraying white over repair areas,,spray a thinned (with mek ONLY) layer of white to "prime",let tack and do you entire re-gel,being careful NOT to burn through the 50/50 as there will be significant shine difference(the un mixed gel will cure fine,but will be lacking the "profile and will appear dull.)
    Wetsand and buff to great shine..........

Hope this rambling helps......... (https://www.minicraft.com/retail/duratec.htm http://www.duratec1.com/ they do still offer the high gloss additive,BUT I talked with their tech guy Friday as I can no longer get the High Gloss Additive from my distributer here in RI.I was told that the Crystal Clear High Gloss is the same only needing MEK to reduse viscosity.......this product can also be used on wood(they SAY :) )
    Peter Ross