Small craft build questions???

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dropzone, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dropzone

dropzone New Member

Since this is my first post, let me say hello. I have searched for this info prior to asking this but couldn't find the answers.

I am building a layout boat for duck hunting. This boat is 10' long and about 48" wide at the widest point. I posted pictures below for you to reference. I plan to use this boat as a plug/mold to build others out of fiberglass and eventually Kevlar.

My plan is to encase the top of this boat/mold in fiberglass, let it cure, and pop it off. Flip the boat/mold over and do the same with the bottom. Then marry the top and bottom halves together with rivets and then finish off this joint with fiberglass or Kevlar tape. I understand the process of using mold release agents and what not...

My question is, what materials and how many layers should I use for this project? What oz fiberglass cloth, should I use fiberglass mats, how many layers, etc??? I would like the boat to be strong enough to be walked across without denting, cracking it and would like to keep ribs and bulkheads to a minimum. I figure I will need a bulkhead near the bow and stern ends for support and possibly a couple on each side near the cockpit area.

This boat will not have a motor. It will be transprted to a hunting location on top of my larger motor boat and a hunter will lie in this boat at anchor while hunting.

I certainly appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Top view:
    [​IMG]

Bottom view:
    [​IMG]