shower store

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by raymond, Jan 7, 2006.

1. raymond

raymond Junior Member

Does anyone know how to build a fibreglass mould at the shower store bottom to prevent water leakage? What type of resin and fibre cloth are better? Do I need to mix hardener with the resin?

Need your advice.

Raymond :confused:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My suggestion would be to first build a plywood plug in the desired shape, then fair it smooth with router, sander and fairing compound. Wax it up good and smooth, then lay up your fibreglass overtop of that. Epoxy resins are more waterproof and a lot easier to use than the poly- or vinyl-ester types. All useable resins are two-part (ie. measure and mix a hardener). A typical layup might be: gelcoat, a light chopped mat, several layers of woven cloth or roving, then possibly a core and more cloth. I'd suggest taking out a book or two from your public library on composite construction, and trying a few small and simple parts, before you build something like a shower that involves a lot of complex curves.

3. raymond

raymond Junior Member

Thanks Matt.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.