Should I paint or re-gelcoat?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brad123, Jun 4, 2004.

1. brad123

brad123 Junior Member

A friend of mine wants me to get his boat looking like new. It is faded - nicked up and has a burgundy faded stripe down the side. Should I sand and re-gelcoat or paint it? I have the gelcoat and feel much better about spraying the boat with it. So should I gelcoat or paint? Any other suggestions are appreciated - brad

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Paint is much easier to work with. Gelcoat applied like paint will need a tremendous amount of sanding to get it glossy. Many paints, such as Awlgrip, or Interlux topside paints are very easy to apply, look just as good as gelcoat, and require no sanding (if applied correctly). You will need to "scuff up" the surface before painting, and fill any scratches/ gouges to ensure a smooth finish. Consider also that Hatteras Yachts paints all their boats right out of the mold. :eek: They are among the best of the production builders! Food for thought.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is a product called Duratec that allows you to spray gelcoat and get a glossy finish without sanding and buffing.

4. Corpus Skipper

Hey Gonzo,

Where can I find this stuff?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

6. Corpus Skipper

Thanks! :D

7. Boston Bobber

Boston Bobber New Member

gelcoat vs paint

Thanks Corpus Skipper for the info. I have a little 17' 1985 Boston Whaler. The exterior gelcoat has basically turned to chalk. There's a guy here who does wonderful restoration work of old wooden boats. He said he'd be happy to restore my little fiberglass boat, as it would be a fun change of pace for his crew. His work on the wooden boats is absolutely spectacular. Anyhow, he's suggesting using paint instead of gelcoat. Based on your quote below, it looks like you would have no qualms with going with paint. Here's my question though, if paint is so great, how come the mfg's don't just use it in the first place? Of course, it looks like Hatteras Yachts has indeed moved to that. I just want my boat to look as close to new and authentic as possible. If paint will get that done in a quality manner, then I'm ok with that. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

8. Corpus Skipper

For fiberglass boats, gelcoat must be used as it is the mold release agent, along with a good waxing of the mold itself, so might as well color it and pop out the finished product and save a step. All custom built boats (that I know of) are painted because they're built without molds, so this is easier than spraying on gelcoat. Hatteras are built in molds and do have gelcoat, but they chose paint for finishing, for what reason I don't know. But Hatteras are highly regarded, so I believe that says something. Anyway, when I refinish a boat, I paint because it is cheaper, easier, and looks just as nice. Touch ups and repairs are much easier as well. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

9. Boston Bobber

Boston Bobber New Member

Thanks for the insight ... sounds like paint is the way to go! Meanwhile, I found this article which addresses same issues. It basically completely mirrors your comments.

Thanks again!
    Boston Bobber

Attached Files:

10. Boston Bobber

Boston Bobber New Member

Sorry to bother you again, but is there any type of paint, brand, or process (one or two steps, spray, brush, or roller) I should definitely insist upon for my little whaler?

11. Corpus Skipper

For ease of application, I'd go with a good 1 part paint such as Interlux, which then has several paints to choose from. I used Interlux Topolac to finish my last project. Applied with a foam roller and tipped with a foam brush. Looks like it was sprayed, and very glossy. If you want the ultimate finish, use Imron or Awlgrip, but these are pricey, 2 part paints, best applied by a professional. They can be sprayed or rolled on as well. Lots of choices!

12. Boston Bobber

Boston Bobber New Member

Thanks!! You've been very helpful!

13. donjames

donjames Junior Member

Interested in Duratec.

Very interested in this application For a new project do you have a link I could get to ? and is it a good application ? Thanks any advise would be appreciated. donjames

14. donjames

donjames Junior Member

Never mind Gonzo found the link you gave to corpus skipper Thanks donjames

15. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

gelcoat

Not to disagree with a senior member but,

Gelcoats are sophisticated polyester resins, to which have been added pigments and certain chemicals to improve weathering, fading and toughness characteristics. They are not mold release agents.