Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 06-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Should I paint or re-gelcoat?

A friend of mine wants me to get his boat looking like new. It is faded - nicked up and has a burgundy faded stripe down the side. Should I sand and re-gelcoat or paint it? I have the gelcoat and feel much better about spraying the boat with it. So should I gelcoat or paint? Any other suggestions are appreciated - brad

Last edited by brad123 : 06-04-2004 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Hopeless Boataholic

Rep: 173 Posts: 606
Paint is much easier to work with. Gelcoat applied like paint will need a tremendous amount of sanding to get it glossy. Many paints, such as Awlgrip, or Interlux topside paints are very easy to apply, look just as good as gelcoat, and require no sanding (if applied correctly). You will need to "scuff up" the surface before painting, and fill any scratches/ gouges to ensure a smooth finish. Consider also that Hatteras Yachts paints all their boats right out of the mold. They are among the best of the production builders! Food for thought.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Rep: 1895 Posts: 9,384
There is a product called Duratec that allows you to spray gelcoat and get a glossy finish without sanding and buffing.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Hopeless Boataholic

Quote:
There is a product called Duratec that allows you to spray gelcoat and get a glossy finish without sanding and buffing.
Hey Gonzo,

Where can I find this stuff?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:15 PM

Rep: 1895 Posts: 9,384
http://www.revchem.com/application.html
Old 06-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Hopeless Boataholic

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:17 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 4
gelcoat vs paint

Thanks Corpus Skipper for the info. I have a little 17' 1985 Boston Whaler. The exterior gelcoat has basically turned to chalk. There's a guy here who does wonderful restoration work of old wooden boats. He said he'd be happy to restore my little fiberglass boat, as it would be a fun change of pace for his crew. His work on the wooden boats is absolutely spectacular. Anyhow, he's suggesting using paint instead of gelcoat. Based on your quote below, it looks like you would have no qualms with going with paint. Here's my question though, if paint is so great, how come the mfg's don't just use it in the first place? Of course, it looks like Hatteras Yachts has indeed moved to that. I just want my boat to look as close to new and authentic as possible. If paint will get that done in a quality manner, then I'm ok with that. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Skipper
Paint is much easier to work with. Gelcoat applied like paint will need a tremendous amount of sanding to get it glossy. Many paints, such as Awlgrip, or Interlux topside paints are very easy to apply, look just as good as gelcoat, and require no sanding (if applied correctly). You will need to "scuff up" the surface before painting, and fill any scratches/ gouges to ensure a smooth finish. Consider also that Hatteras Yachts paints all their boats right out of the mold. They are among the best of the production builders! Food for thought.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Hopeless Boataholic

Quote:
if paint is so great, how come the mfg's don't just use it in the first place?
For fiberglass boats, gelcoat must be used as it is the mold release agent, along with a good waxing of the mold itself, so might as well color it and pop out the finished product and save a step. All custom built boats (that I know of) are painted because they're built without molds, so this is easier than spraying on gelcoat. Hatteras are built in molds and do have gelcoat, but they chose paint for finishing, for what reason I don't know. But Hatteras are highly regarded, so I believe that says something. Anyway, when I refinish a boat, I paint because it is cheaper, easier, and looks just as nice. Touch ups and repairs are much easier as well. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the insight ... sounds like paint is the way to go! Meanwhile, I found this article which addresses same issues. It basically completely mirrors your comments.

Thanks again!
Boston Bobber

Quote:
For fiberglass boats, gelcoat must be used as it is the mold release agent, along with a good waxing of the mold itself, so might as well color it and pop out the finished product and save a step. All custom built boats (that I know of) are painted because they're built without molds, so this is easier than spraying on gelcoat. Hatteras are built in molds and do have gelcoat, but they chose paint for finishing, for what reason I don't know. But Hatteras are highly regarded, so I believe that says something. Anyway, when I refinish a boat, I paint because it is cheaper, easier, and looks just as nice. Touch ups and repairs are much easier as well. Just my 2 cents worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf paintvsgel1.pdf (99.8 KB, 3836 views)
Old 06-16-2004, 01:10 PM

Sorry to bother you again, but is there any type of paint, brand, or process (one or two steps, spray, brush, or roller) I should definitely insist upon for my little whaler?

Quote:
Old 06-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Hopeless Boataholic

For ease of application, I'd go with a good 1 part paint such as Interlux, which then has several paints to choose from. I used Interlux Topolac to finish my last project. Applied with a foam roller and tipped with a foam brush. Looks like it was sprayed, and very glossy. If you want the ultimate finish, use Imron or Awlgrip, but these are pricey, 2 part paints, best applied by a professional. They can be sprayed or rolled on as well. Lots of choices!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:09 PM

Thanks!! You've been very helpful!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

Rep: 23 Posts: 35
Interested in Duratec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo
Very interested in this application For a new project do you have a link I could get to ? and is it a good application ? Thanks any advise would be appreciated. donjames
Old 07-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Registered

Rep: 23 Posts: 35
Never mind Gonzo found the link you gave to corpus skipper Thanks donjames

Old 07-22-2004, 02:17 PM

Rep: 37 Posts: 163
gelcoat

Quote:
For fiberglass boats, gelcoat must be used as it is the mold release agent, along with a good waxing of the mold itself..
Not to disagree with a senior member but,

Gelcoats are sophisticated polyester resins, to which have been added pigments and certain chemicals to improve weathering, fading and toughness characteristics. They are not mold release agents.