Scoring Foam Core For Infusion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jiggerpro, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I tried the cutter wheel off a paper cutter I bought at office depot. Cuts easy, just need to affix a handle also not sure how wide cuts need to be, these look a bit thin. I wonder where the outlet would be best positioned... I like to infuse inward but with the grid it seems the resin has a good chance to racetrack to the outlet especially on curved panels where the channels might be pinched.... But I guess you could fill a dam a couple of inches around the outlet prior to even it all out

2. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

How about a bunch of parallel blades attached to a stiffening framework, and possibly also a positioning jig. With a large hydraulic (or worm gear) press overtop of the whole assembly.
    You'd just slide the sheets in under the press/blades matrix, hit "go", & (hopefully) poof, a bunch of parallel cuts in the foam. Then followed by later turning the sheets 90 degrees to the original angle of cut, & repeat.