Replacing stringer, bulkheads, floor

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gbaaron, Jun 6, 2004.

1. gbaaron

gbaaron Junior Member

I'm replacing the sringers & bulkheads on a 20' baja. any tips & info would be much appreciated. I have heard that I should replace one stringer at a time to aviod hull distortion. Could I replace them all at once if I build a jig for the hull to set in. THANKS.

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Read up on the subject before you start.

If the building jig supports about every other frame, yes you can do it in one go. But two or three at the time at alternate positions is safer.

3. tja

tja Senior Member

tja

I might be wrong but I believe that Baja cores the bottoms with balsa core and then puts the stringers on top of that atleast that is how they used to build them just like Checkmate which is just a few miles from Baja. Baja was bought out by another manufacturer a while back so they may have changed how there built. Ther is another fellow on this forum that lives in the same town as Baja and i'm sura he will know more then i do. If the bottom is cored with balsa and it's still good i see no reason why you couldn't replace them all at once. Just leave it on the trailer, Tom.

4. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

Yes you can do it all at once. I just would not wait too long between removal and replacement. Remove them one weekend and then replace them by the next and you'll be fine.