Repair a balsa core yacht

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Anders Radmark, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Anders Radmark

Anders Radmark Junior Member

I recently bought a balsa core 38 feet sailing yacht and have found moisture readings of about 15 all over the balsa cored areas.

Is there any other method than to mould away the glassfiber outside balsa core and change all balsa before reglass her.

To do like this will be more expensive than the ship and I want some easier and cheaper way to repair hull and deck!!

What is your experience?? I am prepared to try anything logical!!

Kind regards
    Anders Radmark, Sweden

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, Anders, I think your first step would be to really ream out the surveyor who inspected the boat before you bought it. Provided it had a survey, that is.

A bit of moisture in the balsa is normal. But if the core is really wet, it's probably deteriorating, which means the boat is no longer seaworthy.
    There is no way of repairing the core over an entire hull, at least no cost-effective way. If the core is toast, the boat is toast.

I would get a good surveyor to look her over and give you a full written report of her condition. It's quite possible that the boat is fine; it's also quite possible that it will never be seaworthy again.

3. Anders Radmark

I am in a process against "my" pre purch surveyor in England.

Two other surveyors is supporting me but I do not know how this mess will end up.

That is why I search for other repairing models than the skissed one that my warf in Southamton have recommended me.

So you really mean this nice ship can not be repaired nicely??

Moisture readings are around 15-17 above waterline. Which my first surveyor missed!!! Reading in exposed balsa is over 25!

Thank you for your opinion.

Anders

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If the entire core is wet and deteriorating, then no, the boat probably will not be repairable. An amazing amount of repair is possible in a fibreglass boat- whole stringers can be cut out and replaced, just about any hole or crack can be patched up like new. But core is a bit different. Strip off the skin to expose the core over the whole hullside (I really hope the bottom's not cored too), and the structural integrity of the entire boat is essentially gone. Without the original mould it's insanely hard, if not impossible, to rebuild the entire hull. I think your best bet is to preserve things in their current condition as best you can, until the lawyers are done with it. I wouldn't even think about trying to fix it until all disputes are settled.
    ps- i take it your moisture readings are in... what units?

5. Anders Radmark

Hello again Matt. Moisture readings are taken with a Sovereign moisture meter. The scale range from zero to 25 where 25 is compared with 2% as measured by weight as I can understand it.
    Unfortunatly she is cored almost down to the keel. Which the first surveyor said she was NOT. So be careful when you choose a surveyor!!
    Do you have any papers or articles which describe the structural problems in a boat with this problem? Regards Anders

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member