relocating dagger board cassette in foam core.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by markstrimaran, Sep 20, 2015.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

Two fold. One is installing two 24"x 8" water proof hatchs in a foam cored 18' sol cat catamaran hull. The other is to move the dagger board cassettes forward about 3 feet to balance the sail rig.
    I have hand laid over a 100 gallons of resin. The boat is an one off trimaran with sol cat grafted outriggers. I have sailed it all summer with a Lee board. The outriggers are not prone too submarineing.
    My concerns are about the thin laminate on the water side of the hull. Also the side stress of the dagger board. It is a unique aft master rig built for "fishing" with stay sails.
    Frequently the sail is depowered, and repowered. This causes the dagger boards to take the full sail load while stalled and drifting or .blown side ways. As forward momentum builds. I should add that the whole thing weights over 1500 pounds.
    The sol cat hull is vacuumed bagged 1/2" foam core with .085" glass layers.
    Axcess to glass would be though a 24x8" storage hatch opening. That would be about 12 " from the dagger board cassette.
    In the picture the relocation position is 2 inches forward of the round Lee board pivot.
    Thanks and advice on this will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yuck - sounds like a big project for 12 inches of balance. You could probably fix the problem easier by raking the mast back, moving the foot of the jib ( if there is one ) back etc.

3. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

external dagger board cassette.

Well it's 20 inches off balance. Tweaking the mast and sails is not a viable option.
    Maybe an external dagger board cassette? With a internal bulk head? Any thought on this aproach.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.