re finishing 1985 bass boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Wrightd, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Wrightd

Wrightd New Member

I am new to this. I have 85 model procraft, its VERY solid, no leaks, but looks like crap. I am interrested in re-gelcoatong it, but I do not know how to get started. First the surface is dull in color (supposed to have metalic in it, but long gone) its feel to the touch is very course on the top half of the boat. Can anyone advise the easiest, cheapest, and quickest method of restoring. Due to how rough the texture is from age I would be tempted to wash it down and spray gelcoat on top. But I do not even know what to buy and how much. HELP.:confused:

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Easiest, cheapest, fastest way to restore it. Sand it down, spray it with primer, sand again, then use a 1 part paint. It's more difficult to re-gel coat, and can cost more than it does to paint it. You don't need to spray, with some paints you can get very good results with the roll and tip method.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

A good 1- or 2-part urethane paint will be far better than gelcoat. 1-parts are easier to use, 2-parts tend to last a little longer. Pick up Interlux's booklet on boat painting and varnishing (it's free, at any store that sells Interlux paint). It covers most of the things you need to know before you re-finish, including what sanding and cleaning is needed, roll-and-tip as well as spraying techniques, and also appropriate primer/paint selections if you use their products.