Rc Boat Fibreglass mould

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by AleX`G, Jul 18, 2006.

1. AleX`G

AleX`G Junior Member

I want to make my rc boat hull out of fibreglass. What method of creating the mould would you suggest.
    I thought clay or plastacine as the boat is 70cm long.
    Is it important what kind of wax you use to line the mould before casting.

Is it worth getting graphite powder. Does this make a difference.

It would be nice if i could make at least 4 hulls out of the mould. But it is vital hat it is easy to shape as i dont have long to make the boat.

Thx Alex

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

It depends on what accuracy you're after. If you need it really accurate, you best option is to mill the plug (most universities will do it and there are independant facilities). if you're not too worried about accuracy, find a local composites moulding shop (they are all over the place) and have a chat with them. If you plan to do it yourself, you will need quite a bit of glass fibre and resin, as well as various release agents and the like.

There are quite a few books on composite layup, I'd suggest you had a look on Amazon and in your nearest library/bookshop.

Tim B.

3. AleX`G

AleX`G Junior Member

I think building it myself is part of the competition so id probably have to do that.
    This website http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/
    seems very good.
    Hmmm do you think they will sponsor us ;)
    They sell clay there so i assume it must be used for some moulding.

What do you call the mould which goes on the inside and what is the one whcih goes on the outside.
    Sorry to be such a newb.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Milling doesn't infer that you didn't build it yourself, but that's a detail.

I haven't used cfsnet myself, but they are worth asking. Whether they'll sponsor you depends on how many people know about the competition (which one is it?), how successful you are likely to be and how much revenue they'll get because of it.

The thing you make the mould over (ie. it's the same shape as the finished boat) is a plug, or a male mould. The composite hull is then built inside the resulting female mould.

Incidentally, don't rush it. It is best to build a good, accurate hull. Then you stand the greatest chance of getting the best possible result.

Tim B.

5. AleX`G

AleX`G Junior Member

The competition is sponsored by loyds register and run by strathclyde university. We came 4th last year.
    I dont know how widly known it is.
    So i wouldnt expect em to sponsor us.

Do you think it would be feasible to build the plug out of clay then cast it into plaster or something. Couldnt you just use the plug as the mould and mould the GRP round it. leaving one side free