Raising the transom

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rwstoney, Dec 11, 2007.

1. rwstoney

rwstoney New Member

Two years ago I rebuilt the transom on my 23 foot center console to replicate the original design except I used Coosa 1 1/2" Bluewater 26 rather than plywood. I layed it up with epoxy and 4 layers of 1708. It is holding up great. Now that I'm a little bit smarter I want to raise the transom to 30" to eliminate the water coming in the motor well when backing down or drifting. What I'm unsure of is how to tie in the 5" higher transom to the original rebuild so it is strong enough to take the motor loading. Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Grind the surface to about 6" from the edge. Make sure is tapered to the core on the upper edge. Set the Coosa filler in a couple of layers of resin soaked fiberglass. You can put four or five screws through to hold it in place. Fiberglass over everything with four layers of 1708.

3. AroMarine

AroMarine Junior Member

What type of boat is it? Are there molded in seats or storage compartments? Gonzo is correct on the taper. But the interior side of the transom is usually the most problematic repairs or rebuild.

4. rwstoney

rwstoney New Member