Primer or paint instead of gel coat in a mold

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Doug Lord, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

I'm interested in any experiences people may have had in spraying primer or paint into a mold instead of gelcoat and laying up directly on the paint or primer using epoxy resin.

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Hard experience tells me it's a precarious buisness at best. However, Ive had pretty good luck with Pro-Line cold cure. (Y3066) But make damn sure your release-agent will work with it first.

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Oh yeah, you can always spray PVA in the mold first, it just releases a little bit too good.

Yokebutt.

4. Tactic

Tactic Junior Member

I use this method on My IOMs Doug.
    Works a treat.
    Prepare the mould with PVA release.
    2 pack epoxy primer sprayed into the mould.
    Then layup as usual.
    Once the hull is released from the mould all that is needed is a light sand then topcoat.
    I have even tried this method with spray paint from an areosol can..need to allow a longer period of time before layup and de moulding though.

Tactic

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

paint/primer

I've used it on models as well(see www.microsail.com) For paint I pour in the PVA and stand the mold vertcally to drain-dry's with no surface imperfection. I've used Imron and -believe it or not Krylon-both work well. On others I've sprayed PVA and used a catalyzed primer.
    I was curious if anyone thought there would be unforseen problems in using this technigue on larger pannels ,say 16' by 2' ? I've never had print thru in a model but I'm wondering if the larger pannel was resin infused(layed up on a glass sheet) if I'm likely to see it.

6. Tactic

Tactic Junior Member

I guess you need to mke some test panels then

Tactic