Please Help I'm So confused!!!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Oct 25, 2006.

1. grady

grady Novice

Hey Guys, I'm a new member. But have been reading some threads relating to my particular problem. I have an 86' grady wht walk around, a 24 footer powered by a single I/O. This winter I plan to repower w/ a 320 hp vovlo-penta dp and replace the single 93 gal alum tank w/ 2 tanks from the oem. A new 93 with a 56gal aux. as this boat was built to have this option.
    Now my problem. I have read many pages on topsides refinishing projects, and I am leaning towards awlgrip 2 part products. Mostly based on reputation, but I also get the feeling that they can be difficult to apply.( I will be spraying ). I read great things about sterling paints. My questions are many, like which paints are the most durable, which are easly repaired, is spraying the best method for the do-it yourselfer? My friend will be helping me with the prep!!! and spray he has 20 yrs in auto refinishing exp. and has painted 3 or 4 boats and knows urathanes well.
    So please lend me your experiences and knowledge, And any thoughts on this matter.

Grady

2. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I think both paints are good but would reconsider the Volvo thing.

3. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

2-part Poly-urathane

I have done a lot of reading on 2-part polyurathane paints. Seems like the way to go to me....

4. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

WHY, what do you think is wrong with volvo?

5. grady

grady Novice

yes I too would like more info on your dislike for vovlo, as this is a new mpi pkg and I am about to write a sizable check

p.s. the 2007 models will carry a 4 yr warranty

6. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

some paint info from this thread might help

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=110106#post110106

Better yet contact the contributors that provide good info, some excellent advice here. One other thing to look at is building your own fuel tanks with epoxy. Get expert advice from West Systems or whatever brand you might consider. Good luck with your make over.

7. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

Me and many of my fellow boaters in Powell River SWEAR by volvo. The stuff is just plain well built. I think that Richard Hillsid must have had a bad experience or just does not like the company. I believe the consensus is that Volvo stuff is really good, just that parts are hard to obtain if you do not have a good local dealer. Our family will only buy Volvo for the simple fact that it has never let us down.

8. grady

grady Novice

Thanks for your thoughts, I was surprised to see that comment about vovlo. But I guess you can't please everone. I have done my homework and will pursue my purchase.

Now any more, detailed thoughts on the paint project. Would love to hear from folks that have done this first hand

Thanks

9. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Automotive urethanes are not the same as polyurethanes. Polys are much better but WAY more toxic. If you spray, you need an air injection mask or you may end up in the hospital. I have been spraying cars and boats for 30 years. Please be careful.

10. grady

grady Novice

Thanks for all the info everyone.
    Sorry I've been tending to the removal of the old powerplant and clean up the mess it left behind

Thanks again

Grady

11. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Over here Volvo has a big market it coming from Sweden, just next door, and the quality of it is ok, they just don’t last as long as some Japanese or German or Austrian Diesels and lately there has been growing opinion on other diesels being more reliable, quiet, longer lasting and cheaper, especially in professional but also by recreational boaters.

12. grady

grady Novice

This is gas motor, and no one but volvo is offering a 4 year warranty

Grady

13. Martin B

Martin B Junior Member

Once your friend sprays Awlgrip he is probably never going to want to spray anything else. The stuff is extremely durable. I usually always put a third coat on because it gets so hard you can usually wet sand small scratches and stuff out later on. In Florida if you paint something on a boat any color other than white you use Awlgrip or 2 stage if you want it to last. Cars have been urethane since the early 90s so whatever he is using in the body shop is going to be fine. The proper system is fresh air hood. Too much exposure to isocyanates can end your career as a painter.

www.bowkersfiberglass.com