Partial stringer replacement questions

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by BMerriman, Oct 2, 2006.

1. BMerriman

BMerriman New Member

I have a 78 Bayliner (2250SK) that I just bought as a project for my first boat. Going into it I knew the transom and stringers need replaced. Only the aft most of the stringers are bad. I assume from water entering the cowl vents for the blower and about 3 inches of exposed wood. The forward 75% is in great shape and nice and dry. I have read and read and gained a wealth of knowledge from this site. (A big thank you) But I still have a few questions left unanswered.

1. Is it possible and safe to replace part of a stringer. Only the back 3-4 feet on each side is bad. Original wood appears to be 2x8 timber. Planning on replacing with 3/4 ply. Can I cut out the bad section bond and sandwich old good wood with epoxy to the new ply and glass??? With staggered joints of course. Just curious on the best course of action and proper repair. Trying not to tear up the entire floor.

2. since it appears in the original construction the wood was the structure and the glass just held it in place.(looks like only 1 layer of mat on top of the wood. Which would the best glass to use on the new stringers and also the transom?? Transom has no glass on the inside just appears to have a good coat of resin. (no wonder it rotted) Mat, 45/45, 0/90. what weight??? tape, sheets?? not by any means and expert on glass. I have a few smaller projects (hatch covers, ect.) to hone my skills before I do any structural work.

2. BMerriman

BMerriman New Member

Some one has to have some input on this????

3. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

No glass on the transom:eek: Just some mat of the stringer:eek:

I cant believe that even bayliner would make a boat like that. has its been "rebuilt" before?

How about some pictures, it would help a lot.

JOel

4. BMerriman

BMerriman New Member

It doesn't appear to ever been touched before. There are still some factory stickers on the bulkhead for the fuel tank. Its been raining for 3 days here and I have been unable to touch it. I will take some pics and post them up.

But no there was no glass on the inside of the transom at all. Just resin coated ply that had been painted black. It literally turns to saw dust when you touch it. I cant believe someone had it in the water like this.

5. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

You get this free manual when you buy the epoxy "kit" from West System, I bought one from http://www.jamestowndistributors.com.

Its a good read, explains in detail how to make structural repairs to stringers, transoms, etc, etc, etc. It should answer all your questions.

http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/productinfo/guide/index.htm

002-550 Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance
    Softcover-84 pages.
    A complete, illustrated guide to most fiberglass boat repair problems. Includes detailed instructions on repairing rotted stringers and frames, delamination, keel damage. Also covers fairing keels, hardware bonding, finishing and installing teak veneers.

I've seen rot on any older boat that has wood construction. You can rebuild stronger than original. Trick is to enjoy the process itself, not just a means to an end. Guys like Fiberglass Jack even like being itchy!

Good Luck,

Mike