Part stuck in mold!! Yikes!!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by searaytuna, Feb 28, 2006.

1. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

Tried taking the part off of my mold all day today! Put 4 coats of mold release wax and it still wouldn't budge. It is in the shape of an L rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. I was able to separate the vertical portions of it but the borizontal areas of the part is not budging. Is there a way to get the part out without carnivorizing the mold?? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Junior Member

Hi
    there are 2 methods we used to use to release stuck mouldings, the first one is to drive wood wedges between the released parts of the mould then poor hot water in & time will tell wether it will let go.The other is to drill small holes through the mould hopefully stoping before damaging the moulding & glass on nipples suitable for connecting an air line, then blowing compressed air between the mould & moulding.
    Hope this is of some help Regards Mark

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Two further questions:first one being do you need to make another part from the mould?Seondly,is the mould in one piece?

4. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

Welp. THanks for the replys guys. Yes. the mold is(was) in one piece. I was trying my best to salvage it for few more parts. After today, I don't think I will be making anymore parts off of it as I broke the molde in about a half a dozen places :mad: I initially started with a mid-sagital section of the mold very carefully trying to make sure I have a satraight line and all.. Long story short: the end result came out to be a few additional torn sections where the mold stuck to some corners where it had been filled with cabosil. Bad day today.

5. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

You can always use the part that you have as a plug for a new mould ....

6. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

in future consider the use of chemical or water base sealers and monocoats, with wax as a an intial form of protection.

We have two very successful release coat systems in production.

U need to taylor ur release coat system to ur process. A tried and tested system which may work for one particular gelcoat and tooling system may not work on another. For example, a slight change from a polyester gelcoat to a vinylester gelcoat will require a much more durable release agent system, as vinylesters are much more aggresive.

Have u recently changed ur process?