painting hull - covering Print Through

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by superfly, Jun 8, 2006.

1. superfly

superfly New Member

Hi, new to the site. Great info here. I have a new custom boat which I am very happy with, except for 1 fit and finish issue. The hull was infused, and there is more print through than I am happy with (gel coat).

I am considering having the hull repainted (leaning toward Awlgrip) and am looking for some advice.

I am guessing that I would have to start with a high build filler, sand the hull down, then shoot a primer, sand that down, then shoot awlgrip.

I'm no shooter, so I'll have a pro do that. But, I was considering, to save some money, having a buddy help me roll and tip the filler and primer stages. Is this smart? Am I on the right track? The hull will be Flag blue, so I really want it smooth.

Anybody who has done a similar project, I'd appreciate any insight.

thanks

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You didn't say if the boat was the color you like now, if it is, try sanding and buffing the gel coat first, if that doesn't work then look into paint.

3. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Use a sandable epoxy primer and block sand. Make sure you highlight the low spots.

4. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Depends on how bad the print through is.

Dark blue will make it worse over time.

Bury it.

The primer acts both as thermal insulator and sanding surface.

Awlgrip High Build can be put on at 125microns dry per coat and it is hard as nails. Spray 2x. ie 250microns.

Board back. 1 x 545 then topcoat

If it aint that bad do 545 only 2 x 50 microns.

Don't sand too rough on HB. We do 120 by board, then machine p180 before 545. Sand the 545 with p280 then p360.

If print through is bad, you'll have to double up the HB. It can be a killer. Dark blue will get to 80C in sun. Wally's and others have loads of problems. 80c is beyond tg of epoxy. You need a thick barrier...but it depends on how good lay up was in 1st place...this is sorta outa your hands.

5. superfly

superfly New Member

thanks for the help guys. The Hull gelcoat is dark blue now.

Mastcolin, I think I get the sched you're talking about. Can the awlgrip HB be roll and tipped? Must it be sprayed?

Thanks again guys.