Painting a Hobie 14

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by yankyfan100, Jun 12, 2006.

1. yankyfan100

yankyfan100 New Member

Hey, im new here and have a hobie 14, heres what i want to do:

I finally want to do soemthign about my hull. I already do what your not supposed to do and keep it moored in the water(fresh water lake). Blisters have started to form and paint has started to peel from the hull below the water line(previous owner may have painted it). I did a little research and the best and easiest thing to do is use interlux's VC2 Tar as a primer and then finish with the VC-17 antifouling paint. My plan was to mask off a line a little above the waterline and refinish it from there down. Is this a good idea? I dont want to get into anything more complicated than that. Also on the bottom it is almost down to the fiberglass it seems in some spots(mostly scratches, no big areas). Will the primer and paint take care of that?

http://www.iboats.com/products/7/48413_interlux_vc_tar_2_kit.html (primer)

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/ind...sectionid=10189 (paint)

thanks for the input, and please steer me in the right direction! I have no experience with this at all.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, they are both high buildup paints. Let the hull dry well before applying.

3. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Sounds good. If you are not beaching the boat, then the paint on the bottoms should be great. If you get into the habit of seeing how far onto shore you can get the boat, then plan on reglassing
    Rob
    (Canandaigua)

4. yankyfan100

yankyfan100 New Member

alright i got another question:
    i called interlux and i was almost 100% sure that i would use interprotect and then vc-17 ontop. But then i asked about the color since it is such a thin paint and he said at first it will be a copper color and after a week or so it will turn the color you bought. Does that mean the paint above the waterline will not turn at all? Ive never heard of anything like that.
    Also, can you simply paint over other antifoulings such as ultra-kote like you can with vc-17