Painting Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Travis, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis New Member

I have question regarding applying Brightside to a textured fiberglass surface. I have 1985 Kencraft that needed some minor fiberglass repair work. I need to paint the inside of the roof and windshield section after the repairs. It is a very uneven chop strand surface. I can prep the surface with a wire wheel for the initial coat, but will not be able to sand between coats. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to paint this surface, and is Brightside the right product? Also, do I need to apply a primer? Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

why dont you hotcoat it HOTCOAT is a mix of gel and resin 50 50 is the norm depending on how thick u want it put 3% airdry wax in it if its going to be in direct sunlight add a uv block to it what color u want it is simply by adding the pigment make sure the glass is sanded with no higher than 80 grit and roll or brush if you have a very rough area do not put wax in the first coat only in the LAST coat u could also had duratec high gloss to the mix aswell this is a industrial standard to paint fiberglass