paint question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MilitaryPopo, Jan 9, 2006.

1. MilitaryPopo

MilitaryPopo Junior Member

is there any important difference between top side paint and regular auto paint? what i'm asking is if i repaint my topside with auto paint and then put clear top coats (also auto) to seal it, would that work? this is on a 21 ft fiberglass speedboat

2. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Auto paint works best on types of metal and materials of the sort...I would just go to a West Marine and pick up some Interlux top-side paint, I have always used it on my fiberglass and wooden boats and it works great. Good Luck.

Tim

3. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

The only (automotive) paint that will work would be Urethane. You first have to use an epoxy primer to seal off the gelcote. Most clear coats are urethane based. The only problem is that Urethane needs to be sprayed to be applied properly and is dangerous to work with. It should only be applied in a spray booth. There are some epoxy paints that can be applied by hand but will not give you the results of sprayed urethane.

4. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

I have had great luck with interlux topside enamel with teflon. I have had awful results with interlux toplac

5. boatbuilder.org

boatbuilder.org Junior Member

I have used automotive paint in the past with great success. I Use a two part epoxy primer over the hull and then have gone over that with a two part PPG paint called Concept DCC. No need to clear coat over it.
    ---Joel---

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Good automotive paints work very well as topside paints, there is no problem in using them, plus you can get it in any color you want. There is no need for a primer when painting with them over gel coat unless there are surface imperfections that need to be filled. Clean sanded gel coat is a very good, if not better than primer, surface to for paints to bond to.

7. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Auto paints(the 2 pack polyurethanes) are not as hard as the marine equivalents but unless you are going to leave fenders over the side or bang it around, they do job.

Big plus is price normally and colour choice. Also probably easier to spray. Put plenty on, ideally with clear. It will give you something to buff later in life.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with "no primer needed" comment. You're better giving the grp a good sand (with say p150grit) then apply sand this finer (p400). If you apply the topcoat to the grp direct you can only use finer grades or the scratchmarks will show.

I also suspect the boat is old so will be a little bashed about. The primer will fill the minor faults - and highlight some you won't see till you paint eg fine starcrazing, pinholes

8. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

I used PPG auto paint on my boat with an epoxy high build primer underneath. Been a great have had no problems 3 years into paint job.

9. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

Go with algrip its a urathane and is made for the marine and aero u can have a additive put in to it to allow more flex in the paint