Normally what is the last layer of mat used before fairing the glass?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by midcap, Jun 29, 2015.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Mat will suck up a lot more resin than necessary, if just interested in sealing the underside of the deck substrate. Put down a few coats of straight resin, working in the first coat real good. If I understand you, nothing is going to be or get down there to breach this coating, so you're good to go. If it's possible for things to breach this coating, then you should think about something to bulk up the underside, though I'd probably use a light cloth (4 ounce or less), if just to save resin.

2. midcap

midcap Junior Member

Thanks, you're correct, nothing should be touching the underside except where it touches the stringers and I'll put some type of bonding putty there.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That's the way I do it, a bead of thickened goo along each stringer or support, then screw down the substrate.

4. midcap

midcap Junior Member

Thanks again!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.