non skid deck recomend

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by luisjg, Apr 20, 2006.

1. luisjg

luisjg Junior Member

will paint the deck but there any idea on how to give it a diamond look fisnish like non skid.

how to do it??

resin?

2. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

The texture pattern on factory built boats and other surfaces need a mold. You can have an anti slip texture by adding it to the paint or applying it over the paint, which is what I've done. Crushed walnut shells works very well and can be taken off easily, which it's true with sand. There are a number of different types of texture you can add. I suggest applying it over the wet paint method, instead of mixing it in the paint, because keeping the grit even and mixed in the can is tough. Do a search for the subject, there have been many past posts on the subject.

I supose you could tape off a hatched pattern with thin tape about an eighth of an inch wide, but what a pain for a diamond pattern, then apply the texture.

3. luisjg

luisjg Junior Member

its a hard decition,,
    i think im going to paint the deck the masking tape to borders the apply some white duraback to the areas i want non skid

4. JPC

JPC Junior Member

I also prefer molded non-skid to grit for most situations (as a bow man, I've sawn through my knees and my clothing many times on foredecks!). You might like treadmaster products, which provide the pattern and are quite easy to install.

See: http://www.tiflex.co.uk/marine/marine.html

Regards,
    JPC